🔕 🔔

any ideas on how to use 8 green peppers? or as many as possible in one blow? they are not my favorite and came with CSA :/

asked by @michesf about 2 years ago
C1ea1f13 8f50 4d99 a9f7 06ed2b62c690  image

Peppers and onions with garlic chili pepper and tomato sauce. Can be used for sausage and peppers, cacciatore, veal, a side with potatoes.etc

I do usually always buy red instead of green. But certain dishes really need the green ones, look into some Louisiana recipes that use the Trinity (peppers, onion, celery.) Maybe try a gumbo. Stuffed is too much pepper straight up for me, yuck. Somehow I do like them roasted, peeled, seeded and sliced marinated with olive oil garlic capers and anchovy on toasted baguette slices. Making them all at once doesn't seem a good idea to me. They are good for you and incorporating a bit every day or every other day is the best use. They keep reasonably well. I use peppers regularly in sloppy joe with turkey and with chile. Sausage and peppers with some very simple tomato sauce sound good and you can make frittata with the leftovers. Fajitas with steak peppers and onions.

Pickle them. Remember Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers? They will last in your fridge for a month or so, and provide some accent points for sandwiches, salsas, eggs...the other thing to do is to blanch, then freeze them in small freezer bags, and pull out as needed.

84e04bee 8fc8 4bdc 8199 701c1af83294  image

Here's a recipe for cod with roasted green pepper puree from NY Times: http://cooking.nytimes...

ktr

Make a huge batch of chili and then freeze the leftovers for a quick meal another time; I do this and then bring the frozen blocks of soup camping for a quick and easy hot meal. Or chop and freeze them. Or make hot pepper mustard (although it won't be hot in this case). I find pickled peppers to work better with smaller peppers.

A43dee65 01b1 40a6 994d 068c78eb3eee  9f7dd561 a480 4e1b 8c8f d5da7ab5167c
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

Similar to what nutcakes and Meaghan F suggested, I would suggest roasting, peeling, and freezing them in strips if you want to deal with them all in one go. Roasting tempers their bitterness quite a bit, and the sliced, roasted peppers will keep a long time in your freezer, so you can use them in bits when it suits you. I also am not a green bell pepper fan, but really enjoy them this way in tacos, enchiladas, and beans, for example.

2f6c502c 148f 49e3 9273 8a68f5d0e496  stringio

Roast them with some garlic and throw some onion in.
Great side dish.

Seed and pith them, dice, and make some pepper pesto - garlic, olive oil, seasonings, etc. You could use that as an addition to tomato sauce for pasta or lasagna. Freeze some for later use.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

Stuff them with a ground beef, tomato sauce, mixed with cooked rice.
You can also change up the binder element a bit. I use rice and Bulgar wheat that's been cooked.
You can also change up the tomato sauce a bit--and go for a Greek type tomato sauce. Oregano, thyme, mint, allspice, and cinnamon.
Throw in some feta cheese crumbles too if you have them.

Then spray with oil give the outside (and inside before you start) a seasoning of salt and pepper.

Bake them with the cap on. Then you can freeze them wrapped in single or pares. Those are perfect for 'I don't want to took tonight' moments.

Also, use a tomato shark or a apple corer to get the ribs out of the peppers.

Freeze some of the tomato sauce too to put over them when you defrost them. And have some more cheese ready to put on top.

make a ratatouille-like dish in casserole with sliced potato base, strips on top of that of tomato, pepper, zucchini, onion, dotted with olives, topped with olive oil, baked in oven. serve with hard cheese to grate or as a side dish to simple roasted meats.