any ideas on how to use 8 green peppers? or as many as possible in one blow? they are not my favorite and came with CSA :/

Voted the Best Reply!

Susan W November 2, 2014

As in bell peppers? If so, I feel your pain. I can think of 3 things that I might do. Stuff them with something wonderful like a mixture ground lamb, mint or oregano, onions, garlic, pine nuts...you get my drift. Then bake and freeze them for quick dinners. You could chop them up and freeze them in plastic storage bags and then just break off chunks to put in recipes (I did this when I got ten eggplants from a friend) or give some to friends, family or coworkers.

Tasha
Tasha November 3, 2014

Peppers and onions with garlic chili pepper and tomato sauce. Can be used for sausage and peppers, cacciatore, veal, a side with potatoes.etc

nutcakes
nutcakes November 3, 2014

I do usually always buy red instead of green. But certain dishes really need the green ones, look into some Louisiana recipes that use the Trinity (peppers, onion, celery.) Maybe try a gumbo. Stuffed is too much pepper straight up for me, yuck. Somehow I do like them roasted, peeled, seeded and sliced marinated with olive oil garlic capers and anchovy on toasted baguette slices. Making them all at once doesn't seem a good idea to me. They are good for you and incorporating a bit every day or every other day is the best use. They keep reasonably well. I use peppers regularly in sloppy joe with turkey and with chile. Sausage and peppers with some very simple tomato sauce sound good and you can make frittata with the leftovers. Fajitas with steak peppers and onions.

ChezHenry
ChezHenry November 3, 2014

Pickle them. Remember Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers? They will last in your fridge for a month or so, and provide some accent points for sandwiches, salsas, eggs...the other thing to do is to blanch, then freeze them in small freezer bags, and pull out as needed.

Meaghan F
Meaghan F November 3, 2014

Here's a recipe for cod with roasted green pepper puree from NY Times: http://cooking.nytimes...

ktr
ktr November 3, 2014

Make a huge batch of chili and then freeze the leftovers for a quick meal another time; I do this and then bring the frozen blocks of soup camping for a quick and easy hot meal. Or chop and freeze them. Or make hot pepper mustard (although it won't be hot in this case). I find pickled peppers to work better with smaller peppers.

dinner at ten
dinner at ten November 3, 2014

Similar to what nutcakes and Meaghan F suggested, I would suggest roasting, peeling, and freezing them in strips if you want to deal with them all in one go. Roasting tempers their bitterness quite a bit, and the sliced, roasted peppers will keep a long time in your freezer, so you can use them in bits when it suits you. I also am not a green bell pepper fan, but really enjoy them this way in tacos, enchiladas, and beans, for example.

Mar Pom
Mar Pom November 3, 2014

Roast them with some garlic and throw some onion in.
Great side dish.

Pegeen November 3, 2014

Seed and pith them, dice, and make some pepper pesto - garlic, olive oil, seasonings, etc. You could use that as an addition to tomato sauce for pasta or lasagna. Freeze some for later use.

Pegeen November 3, 2014

Sam1148 November 3, 2014

Stuff them with a ground beef, tomato sauce, mixed with cooked rice.
You can also change up the binder element a bit. I use rice and Bulgar wheat that's been cooked.
You can also change up the tomato sauce a bit--and go for a Greek type tomato sauce. Oregano, thyme, mint, allspice, and cinnamon.
Throw in some feta cheese crumbles too if you have them.

Then spray with oil give the outside (and inside before you start) a seasoning of salt and pepper.

Bake them with the cap on. Then you can freeze them wrapped in single or pares. Those are perfect for 'I don't want to took tonight' moments.

Also, use a tomato shark or a apple corer to get the ribs out of the peppers.

Freeze some of the tomato sauce too to put over them when you defrost them. And have some more cheese ready to put on top.

Nancy November 4, 2014

make a ratatouille-like dish in casserole with sliced potato base, strips on top of that of tomato, pepper, zucchini, onion, dotted with olives, topped with olive oil, baked in oven. serve with hard cheese to grate or as a side dish to simple roasted meats.