Mother-in-law gave me a whole grocery bag of banana peppers. I'm excited, but have no clue how to use them. Ideas?

It's just two of us in our house so I'm always looking for good ideas to make and freeze/store somehow whenever I have a bunch of one ingredient. I will probably pickle some of them, but beyond that I haven't found many other ideas. Not too familiar with banana peppers either- could they be a good substitute for other peppers in condiments or general recipes? Any ideas are appreciated!

Valentina Solfrini
Valentina Solfrini September 28, 2013

I know a Hungarian lady who made large use of these peppers:
1) look up a recipe called 'Toltott Paprika': it's peppers stuffed with minced pork, rice and seasoning, and cooked in a tomato sauce.
2) another stuffing she made was a simple mix of ricotta, finely minced hard boiled eggs and a bit of butter. We had them with toasted crusty bread.
3) My favorite: cut in rings and remove the seeds, add thinly sliced cucumber and celery, and toss with extra virgin olive oil, white wine vinegar, and salt for a simple salad. This I'd definitely eat everyday! :)

WhileItRises
WhileItRises September 28, 2013

Thanks! That dish sounds awesome.

Catherine
Catherine September 28, 2013

Banana peppers are the best! So take one wash it cut It down the middle remove the seeds add (in a bowl) cream cheese and your favorite spicy seasoning I use tony chacheres works well!! Then spoon the filling onto the pepper add bacon bits then pop in an oven or toaster oven for 15 mins keep an eye in them tho!!!

Sam1148 September 28, 2013

Dry a few of them. Take some strong thread and a needle and sew through the top of the pepper and then put in a simple knot, give it some space and repeat with the next pepper. Hang them up from the ceiling like garlands, or hang them from a ceiling pan rack until dry. In the winter you can cut one or two off and use them for Chili or stews.
They're normally rather mild but each bunch is different; the red ones dried are used in Christmas Decorations and wreaths sometimes. (and still eaten after words if you make them yourself and don't shellac them).

Also pepper jelly is a good use for an abundance of peppers; and makes a very nice gift for Christmas.

And speaking of Christmas Tamales are traditional for Christmas in Mexican homes; The dried red peppers are used to make a tamale sauce.

WhileItRises
WhileItRises September 28, 2013

I hadn't even thought of tamales... Thank you!

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich September 28, 2013

It sounds like you've received quite a bounty. At the moment I'm obsessed with fermented foods. I currently have 2 quarts of peppers fermenting on my kitchen countertop. Why not try a ferment? Like you I can foods, however fermenting is much less time consuming. Take one of your canning jars or any glass vessel with a wide mouth (sterilizing not necessary). Measure 3 Tablespoons kosher or sea salt to 1 quart bottled water, stir well. Fill your jar with the peppers, cut off the green stems, stuff tight in the jar. Fill with the salted water. Weigh down with a glass or other device, make sure the peppers are submerged. You may leave this on your kitchen counter for many months. The peppers will not be ready to serve for months. When they have fermented to your liking you may make sauces or salsas. The possibilities are endless. For more information on this topic check out Sandor Katz' website: www.wildfermentation.com

rt21
rt21 September 30, 2013

I've made a Bolognese sauce and studded the peppers , serve them as an appetizer

susan g October 3, 2013

What you can't cook or dry can be frozen. Cut in half lengthwise, take out stem, seeds and other innards. Slice in strips, then put in heavy plastic bags or other vapor-proof containers and freeze. Then you can take them out as you like, in the quantity you need.

Chris Hagan
Chris Hagan October 4, 2013

If I may be permitted to toot my own horn, you can use some of them in either of these recipes:
http://food52.com/recipes...
http://food52.com/recipes...

Also make some lecso:
http://homepage.interaccess.com/~june4/lesco.html
http://zsuzsaisinthekitchen.blogspot.com/2010/10/hungarian-ratatouille-lecso.html
http://www.thehungarydish.com/lecso-recipe-guest-post-by-peter-pawinski/

Bevi
Bevi October 4, 2013

Coat in cornmeal and fry - delicious.