How much is a "cake" of yeast?

I'm trying to figure out my Great Grandmother's coffee cake recipe. I essentially have a list of ingredients and some rather vague notes on what to do with them. One of the notes says to dissolve 2 cakes of yeast in 1/4 cup of warm water. I'm stumped - does anyone know how much yeast (preferably by weight) one would find in a "cake"? This recipe is very very old, so I'm sure this is just and old fashioned way that yeast was packaged and sold... Thanks!!

• Posted by: Abby
  • November 29, 2014

Susan W November 29, 2014

I remember that stuff. It's still sold in some markets. Each 2oz cake=3 packets of instant yeast. 2 cakes is a ton of yeast. Is this for multiple cakes?

Susan W November 29, 2014

Are you positive it doesn't say 1/2 or 1/3 of the cake yeast? That is the amount that should be dissolved in 1/4 cup water plus 1 tsp sugar after the yeast is dissolved.

Abby
Abby November 29, 2014

Thanks! Yes, the recipe yields 12 9" cakes, but they freeze and reheat very well.

Susan W November 29, 2014

Very cool that you are making her recipe.

BakerRB
BakerRB November 29, 2014

I've seen smaller squares of fresh yeast, maybe 1"x1"x5" squares or so. That's more like a half ounce, and seemed to be equivalent usage to a quarter ounce packet of dried yeast.