What should I do with B&B liqueur?

My husband had fun with a duty-free shopping spree and grabbed a bottle of B&B, thinking it was something else. What's the best way to use it?

former Community Editor

asked almost 4 years ago

Other than sip it by a crackling fire? Could it be the liquor component in a trifle (like in the article this week)? I looked it up - beets! Oranges! Vanilla! Who knew? Cake and chicken ideas here:
http://luxuryexperience...

(BTW at first I read this as BBQ liqueur and was confused and intrigued)

My parents used to keep B&B, along with various after-dinner brandies and such - sort of old school. Some mulled wines include a little brandy or cognac - B&B has a sort of pie spice, honey-ish taste (I think?), so maybe you could use it there, along with cinnamon sticks, orange peel, etc. Or maybe a shot in hot tea or a variation on Irish coffee.

Back in my twenties, I worked in a high end restaurant in Portland as a server. The customers would sip on B&B in a heated brandy snifter after dinner. I remember the pastry chef would sometimes use it to moisten a dark gingery chocolate cake. The chef made a roasted duck that had B&B added to a glaze that had peaches and honey involved. Then there's always the B&B, cognac and pimm's over ice with a twist that my mom would sip on when we lived at the beach.

You could make a Baba of sorts, using gingerbread, and imbibing it with the B&B. It also makes a great impromptu sundae topping.

Add it alone to coffee or tea for a winter toddy, or iced drink. There's already sugar in it, so adding sugar would be overkill. Or, over ice cream or pancakes or waffles.

Benedictine has a really interesting history--it's "modern" era began when Julia Child's co-author Simone "Simca" Beck's grandfather found an old manuscript with the recipe. It remained a family business until the late 1980s. During World War II, when sugar was scarce, Simca used her stashes of Benedictine as the sweetener in truffles and cakes. Her book, Food & Friends includes a recipe for a frozen souffle flavored with Benedictine that would be good with B&B.

B&B, started life as a cocktail--Benedictine and brandy--that was so popular they started pre-mixing it. It's less sweet than Benedictine, better for sipping, I think. But it'd be great in all the ideas you're getting.

ChezHenry

It is an awesome liquor, it wont go bad, keep it! I really like the ideas here to substitute for use in a tiramisu, or to soak a layer of genoise in a cake.
I also make a B&B Affogato. Take a scoop of vanilla ice cream, pour one shot of hot espresso and one shot of B&B over the top. Expect moans.

former Community Editor

You all are so wonderful. I look forward to working my way through all of these ideas, thanks for the help -- and thanks for preventing me from regifting it!

Tammy Thayer

B&B with a lil weed