🔕 🔔

What should I do with B&B liqueur?

My husband had fun with a duty-free shopping spree and grabbed a bottle of B&B, thinking it was something else. What's the best way to use it?

Lindsay-Jean is a Contributing Writer & Editor at Food52.

asked almost 3 years ago

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

Other than sip it by a crackling fire? Could it be the liquor component in a trifle (like in the article this week)? I looked it up - beets! Oranges! Vanilla! Who knew? Cake and chicken ideas here:
http://luxuryexperience...

(BTW at first I read this as BBQ liqueur and was confused and intrigued)

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

My parents used to keep B&B, along with various after-dinner brandies and such - sort of old school. Some mulled wines include a little brandy or cognac - B&B has a sort of pie spice, honey-ish taste (I think?), so maybe you could use it there, along with cinnamon sticks, orange peel, etc. Or maybe a shot in hot tea or a variation on Irish coffee.

Back in my twenties, I worked in a high end restaurant in Portland as a server. The customers would sip on B&B in a heated brandy snifter after dinner. I remember the pastry chef would sometimes use it to moisten a dark gingery chocolate cake. The chef made a roasted duck that had B&B added to a glaze that had peaches and honey involved. Then there's always the B&B, cognac and pimm's over ice with a twist that my mom would sip on when we lived at the beach.

You could make a Baba of sorts, using gingerbread, and imbibing it with the B&B. It also makes a great impromptu sundae topping.

Add it alone to coffee or tea for a winter toddy, or iced drink. There's already sugar in it, so adding sugar would be overkill. Or, over ice cream or pancakes or waffles.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

Benedictine has a really interesting history--it's "modern" era began when Julia Child's co-author Simone "Simca" Beck's grandfather found an old manuscript with the recipe. It remained a family business until the late 1980s. During World War II, when sugar was scarce, Simca used her stashes of Benedictine as the sweetener in truffles and cakes. Her book, Food & Friends includes a recipe for a frozen souffle flavored with Benedictine that would be good with B&B.

B&B, started life as a cocktail--Benedictine and brandy--that was so popular they started pre-mixing it. It's less sweet than Benedictine, better for sipping, I think. But it'd be great in all the ideas you're getting.

It is an awesome liquor, it wont go bad, keep it! I really like the ideas here to substitute for use in a tiramisu, or to soak a layer of genoise in a cake.
I also make a B&B Affogato. Take a scoop of vanilla ice cream, pour one shot of hot espresso and one shot of B&B over the top. Expect moans.

Cfe06c3a 31ba 4cd7 a0b0 2d1e7eb98d8e  18930218514 6fcf35ff43 b

You all are so wonderful. I look forward to working my way through all of these ideas, thanks for the help -- and thanks for preventing me from regifting it!

3d517cbd 1ea6 4a34 baec 7fee3d1ddd9d  fb avatar

B&B with a lil weed