Recommendations for a milk frother?

I used to have a glass one but it broke. Thinking to get an electric one instead - does anyone have a preference and how do the electric ones actually work? Seems like less washing than the glass version. Any advice would be much appreciated!

asked by CH-4500 almost 4 years ago

I have an electric one that I bought when I bought a Nespresso. It worked well for about a year, but now it doesn't froth all that well. I've had glass ones. They're about equal in washing. (The electric one has little springs that froth the milk and you wash them separately--not onerous, but you mentioned that as an issue).

CH-4500

Thanks! Was it a Nespresso brand? If you don't remember don't worry. Don't think I will use it daily anyway so I'm hoping for long term use. Thank you for your reply.

jilhil

Battery operated ones are less washing - my sister gave me a $5.00 battery operated one from IKEA last year that works fine. I have one of the glass ones too, but it has been in the packing case for ages now. Obviously it won't be quite as frothy as steamed milk, but it's close and much easier when you stumble out of bed in the morning

I have the IKEA frother too and love it. Clean up is simple and the battery usually lasts about 6 months (based on weekend use primarily). I think I paid $3 for it. It's a small tool and doesn't take up any significant amount of space.

irina

I have the cheap battery one also. After use I froth up some soapy water and it's clean!
Had it for years. Works great.
cheers

I had a glass frother, which broke. Then I bought an electric frother, which died. I finally found a metal frother--the container is stainless steel and the plastic plunger is on a stainless stell shaft. This is sturdy, works easily, and has lasted for years. I would recommend it over an electric or glass version.

lem monade

I absolutely second this, love my manual stainless steel frother: I find the foam much more uniform, creamy and stable – plus I can heat the milk right in there and it’s dishwasher safe, too! The electric ones I had (including that IKEA one) needed new batteries all the time, their somewhat fragile wire part started running out of true, or they just died after a year or so.

bigpan

I use a Nespresso induction frother - works like charm, fast and no noise. Cleans up easy. Not sure if Nespresso sells them separate from the coffee machine but worth looking at Google