🔕 🔔

What to do with 50 one-cup Pyrex bowls?

62098f49 95f8 4bd1 b2be b9cdf8251589  pyrex

When my son was born, I made the decision that once he started solids, I would make all his foods from scratch. From purees and baby food, to pre-prepped toddler meals and snacks. In the process, I slowly accumulated about 50 one-cup glass Pyrex bowls -- those little round ones with lids -- which rotated between the freezer, the fridge, the oven, the dishwasher, etc. Now that my son is old enough/less picky enough to just eat what we eat, I have stopped making these pre-prepped freezer kiddie meals. But now I have 50 one-cup glass Pyrex bowls clogging up my pantry. Any suggestions on what I can use them for? I guess I can keep making one-cup things to store in the freezer. But another issue that has popped up is, since I am using them less and less, some of the lids now have a funky stale smell to them. Any suggestion on how to get rid of that smell?

asked by MissChristina 3 months ago

A43dee65 01b1 40a6 994d 068c78eb3eee  9f7dd561 a480 4e1b 8c8f d5da7ab5167c
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

Wow, 50 is an impressive collection! I have a much smaller number of those myself that I use frequently for food storage. If you haven't already considered this, I think you could easily sell your collection via Craigslist, keeping whatever number suits your now more run-of-the mill storage needs.
As for off smells from storage, are you storing them closed? That will definitely cause things to pick up a funk in storage. Either way, a trip or two through the dishwasher will probably help. I've heard that a baking soda paste can help remove smells also.

45124859 919e 4c90 ab1a 5e81182d22e9  stringio

I'd keep some for storage of small amounts. I'd make jelly or jan and use them for this and you could use parrafin for a lid instead of the smelly ones. I'd take the rest, probably about half, to the thrift store.

I'd keep about half and take the rest to the thrift store.

88afa98e fd9c 4e61 af72 03658638b6cb  eight ball 600px

As for deodorizing the lids, I suggest a short soak in a diluted distilled white vinegar bath followed by a trip through the dishwasher.

As for what to do with all of the bowls, I suggest donating to a local school, church, or charity.

Use them as spice containers in your pantry for some larger quantity powers. Label them with the name and date so you know how old/new the food item is.

Otherwise, I would definitely keep them and stored away (cleaned and wrapped up) once you decide the correct number to have out for regular-every day use. You'll never know how they'll come in handy for around the house (projects?) or for your kids in creative ways.

They are too good to give away!

4317e099 9a1b 4ea1 9383 0f4238d61969  20170901 174313

Thinking a bit out of the box, do you have a locally-own café near you? Small businesses can always use the support. (While the whiffy lids may not be suitable, the little bowls could have endless uses both in front and back of house.)
Or, ask a local charity, shelter, or day center. Pyrex is such a strong product and can last forever (ok, within reason/good care). It would be a gift appreciated for many, many years.

Sorry, need a PS, here. Most emergency women's shelters are "off the grid" & not easily contacted for obvious reasons.
Not sure where you live, but if you contact your local county/parish/city hall, they can either be your liaison or set you up with one.