One more question...I forgot to get dry milk at the store and I am making a yeast bread recipe with it included. What purpose does dry milk serve in

recipe? Can I add milk instead?

asked by Stephanie G over 4 years ago

Dry milk provides flavor, increases nutritional value by adding more protein, and improves crust color (more even browning) & texture (more tender) of the finished bread. Somewhere I also read that that milk can improve the shelf life, but I can't seem to find confirmation of that.

Hit reply too soon. Your second question about using milk: yes, but you will need to scald it to 170-190 to destroy the amino acid, glutathione, which weakens gluten in dough.