Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

Ba67bb65 4a48 4c32 9267 a44ff4dae0fb  tobacco road 010

and a bit of tahini of course. and lemon juice.
canned is fine and easier.
cheers
irina

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

I'll go for canned. It makes a creamery Hummus. Drain it first and add the liquid later. Soaked and Cooked beans---you have to start the night before...and then you have to deal with the little shells.

Tahini, garlic, lemon juice and olive oil and salt. Go by taste adding while blending it in a mini-prep food processor; add the reserved 'juice' to get a creamy consistently.

Also...as an aside Thaini is stupid expensive. So much here, it's cheaper to mail order it via Amazon prime then a store.

94ff4163 13ec 407a a53b 792c87641e55  fsm
trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

Dried chickpeas are great... if you have the time.

Hummus for me is always a last minute addition to the menu, so I usually go with a can of chickpeas (drained).

Here's our tried and true family recipe (shhh, don't tell anyone, it's secret):

Chickpeas - one can, drained (keep the peas, toss the liquid/jelly goop)
Garlic - lots plus some (we love garlic) or if serving to normal people, about 3 cloves
Sesame oil- drizzle (optional)
Tahini - never bother with it, but everyone seems to love it, about a Tablespoon
Lemon or lime juice - huge splash
Salt - pinch

all goes in the blender

olive oil - drizzle and blits, drizzle and blitz, until you get the texture you like (I like mine chunky, or as they call it in culinary circles, rustic).

That's it. Take all of 4 minutes to make and tidy up.

Now, as to how my friend from the Middle East makes it - chickpeas (canned), tahini (huge amount maybe 1/2 cup per can chickpeas), a couple cloves garlic, lime juice, loads of salt, blitzes it until it's creamy and smooth (adding olive oil as needed during blending).

Basically there's (almost) no wrong way to make hummus, so once you get your favourite recipe, feel free to experiment. We won't judge if you want to try lentils instead of chickpeas, or shallots instead of garlic (both are tasty). Feel free to let us know what you try and how it went.

A note about tahini and sesame, they add a nice flavour which is traditional in many regions. Then again, I was over 30 the first time I had tahini in my hummus and still can't get use to it. Sesame is a common allergen so if cooking for others, either leave it out (tastes just fine without, in my opinion) or ask about dietary requirements.

ps, love the picture you chose with your question.

Agree with all trampled says. A solution to the tahini/allergy problem. Leave the sesame paste out of the hummus. Make a separate sauce with some tahini, water, lemon juice, salt (proportions vary) and serve that on the side as a garnish, as people do with felafel.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

Hummus is usually a last minute thing for me too, so I tend to rely on canned. But maybe experiment - do a recipe using dried, then next time you make it, use canned - or vice versa - and see what you think, if the extra effort is worth it to you. It's the kind of thing you can endlessly fiddle with anyway - proportion of tahini, lemon, olive oil, etc. - to find 'your' hummus.

I lived in the "Hummus Land" Israel for few years and the authentic Hummus places all over the country (and all over the Middle East) are always using only dried chickpeas. It takes more time, right, but if you don't want to compromise - that's the real thing!
I found this store where you can buy middle eastern ready to prepare food kits with all the ingredients you need for hummus and other stuff (look at the ready to cook packs): http://www.youssefandjoseph...

Anyway - it doesn't matter if you'll choose the canned version or the dried version - I wish you good luck and don't forget to share with us the result :)
Cheers
May

I agree. Hummus is always delicious, but made with dried, soaked and even sprouted chickpeas, it's even better.

Dea8d251 e86c 4ec3 8164 30003d210245  2144933705 20517bedab m

Susan, Henry, Irina, Sam, trampledbygeese, Nancy, amysarah, May Fine - thank you so much you are awesome! I used the dried chickpeas for my Hummus and it was perfect! Everybody liked it! Thanks for your help and for your recommendation. BTW: May Fine - the website you shared is really cool. I'm gonna check it out soon.

It's fun when confusion turns into a successful dish. Glad you reported back.

Best and to my mind only hummus: https://food52.com/recipes... Baking soda step cuts down on cooking time. I make double, even triple, batches and freeze in deli containers, perking it up once defrosted with fresh lemon juice, more olive oil, dukkah, pinches of ground toasted cumin, etc. Serve with homemade (ridiculously easy!!) lavash crackers sprinkled with dukkah or za'atar or just salt, pepper, cumin, whatever. (Buy lavash rectangles, heat oven, brush with oil and sprinkle on spice, cut with a pizza cutter, put in oven for 2 minutes. A week's worth + some for friends can be made in 30 minutes + or minus, depending on how fast your oven heats. Recipe here: https://food52.com/recipes...) ;o)

B9139e0f aa52 4fa5 8bcf 22e0f1ed82a5  tberry bw rszd

Oh, gees. Now I know what I'm doing tomorrow... thanx for this!

I use canned... prefer Bush's. And I do pop the peels... it's a great way to catch a breath sometimes. Only takes 10-15 minutes and 1 glass of wine.

Cf72275c fff5 4c3d 91ff b486112ca91a  stringio
Nancy Harmon Jenkins

Nancy is a food writer, historian, and author of many books, her most recent being Virgin Territory: Exploring the World of Olive Oil, forthcoming from Houghton Mifflin.

I would always go for dried chickpeas. The canned ones have a tinny flavor to me and I'm always leery of what else might be in that can. It's very easy to cook up a bunch of chickpeas (first soaking them overnight), use what you need and then freeze the rest, perhaps in small quantities, so you've got them ready to reheat and puree anytime hummus hunger strikes.