Our NYC Holiday Market is open (!!!) for the weekend. Come on by »
🔕 🔔

Venison vs veal shanks for Osso bucco

Nothing worse than dried out venison...should I braise same as veal or lamb for Osso bucco?

asked by The Thyme Savor almost 2 years ago
E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

The cook will be low and slow, with lots of broth and or wine and or other liquid in the pot, yes? In that case I wouldn't worry about dry venison, though I would be generous with the fat I use to brown it first (and I would likely go duck fat or bacon fat) and because venison is a strongly flavored meat I would use strong flavors throughout, red wine and juniper, rosemary and leeks and shallots, parsnips and fat organic carrots, like that

Oh yes, we'll be generous with wine & bacon fat! Appreciate your excellent points. Had to place order online for antelope loins for a catering client & needed 4 xtra lbs to meet min. requirements so thought the venison osso buco would be fun to try for New Years at the beach. Will send results!

609271d6 306e 4b3e 8479 9d404fb84e73  moi 1

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

you could also add some port, in addition to the wine, it would nicely complement the strong flavors