subpar butternut squash this year - how to ameliorate?

Since Food52ers really do know all, I thought I'd through this out there. For whatever reason this year in Southern Ontario, I've gotten a lot of very uninspiring butternuts. I do what I've always done with them (roast in olive oil usually) and the pieces *look* fine, but they have little taste and no umph. What's up? And how can I (can I?) try to make this year's crop a little more enticing, even if it's subpar? Thanks everyone!!

asked by tammany almost 4 years ago

em-i-lis
em-i-lis

Emily is a trusted source on General Cooking.

I would add a fair amount of zippy chopped herbs along with the olive oil before roasting (allspice and cardamom are nice with butternut squash, for ex) to enhance whatever flavor is there and/or consider tossing the roasted cubes with some sort of yogurt-tahini sauce to enhance and also cover. Both Yotam Ottolenghi and Molly Wizenberg have great recipes for b'nut squash with yogurt sauce.

tammany

Excellent suggestions - esp the herbs. Interestingly one of the moments when I was most disappointed in my squash was when I made that Ottolenghi onion/squash tahini recipe. I love it and last winter I made it all the time. But this winter, the squash just isn't great. Or is it me??!!!

em-i-lis
em-i-lis

Interestingly, this recipe is remarkably similar(!) to Molly W's. https://food52.com/blog...

But tammany, I agree. Ultimately, there is only so much you can do w/ subpar stuff. Sigh!

I love this soup, and there are so many flavors that marry well together that I think it would be fine with sub par squash: https://food52.com/recipes...

Stephanie

How about adding a different variety in there to perk up the squash-y flavor...maybe acorn or kabocha? And I totally agree with em-i-lis about getting creative with herbs/spices to boost the flavor.

tammany

Thanks to all of you!