I have some roasted butternut squash -- just roasted with a bit of olive oil, salt & pepper. What should I do with it now? I've already eaten some of it as-is but it seems like there might be some creative ideas out there beyond that...

asked by akmartin about 8 years ago

lsh7041

coolt down, put it away and make into a soup tomorrow with apple, sage and broth

Last night for a community dinner I prepared a tagine in which the key ingredients were butternut squash and chickpeas. It also included prunes, cauliflowerettes, and flavoring/coloring spices such as turmeric, cassia, cumin, ground ginger and preserved lemon.

Homemadecornbread

Recently, I used cubed roasted butternut squash to make a yummy pasta dish. Caramelized onions, a little butter, a few raisins, some balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, feta cheese on top. Delicious!

I posted a red lentil and roasted pumpkin soup recipe last year here for which you could substitute the roast butternut squash: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

Also, I have a parsnip and butternut squash puree that uses roasted butternut squash:

You can steam (including in the microwave) the parsnips if roasted them is too much trouble, and it still tastes great.

Actually, though, a good roasted butternut squash is so tasty all by itself. I constantly roast squashes and pumpkins of all kinds throughout the fall and winter, and often a bowl of the stuff, plain, with lunch, or for a snack. So delicious!! ;o)

anyone

You could always make butternut squash ravioli. My fall favorite!

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

Have you thought about a savory riff on butternut squash pie? Take a look at the Hippie Cauliflower Pie on Food 52 for an amazing crust idea.

RavensFeast

Toss it with arugula, chickpeas and roasted onions + a light tahini dressing.

jenmmcd

I make a pizza with sliced butternut squash, tomatoes, pesto, and fontina. It's delicious and such a unique dish. It's a cooking light recipe:

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=10000000350893

Kayb

Throw it in with some caramelized onions and some chicken broth to reheat...mash it all up, add some goat cheese and some diced, crispy bacon, and it's a pasta sauce to die for.

mamariz

Butternut squash risotto -- very simple and so, so good.

foodfighter

You could puree/drain it and make some festive orange gnocchi. Try adding some crushed/rubbed sage to the dough, or you could do a sage whipped cream as a topping with some candied pecans/walnuts.