🔕 🔔

I have some roasted butternut squash -- just roasted with a bit of olive oil, salt & pepper. What should I do with it now? I've already eaten some of it as-is but it seems like there might be some creative ideas out there beyond that...

asked by akmartin about 7 years ago

coolt down, put it away and make into a soup tomorrow with apple, sage and broth

Last night for a community dinner I prepared a tagine in which the key ingredients were butternut squash and chickpeas. It also included prunes, cauliflowerettes, and flavoring/coloring spices such as turmeric, cassia, cumin, ground ginger and preserved lemon.

07ee6775 4f67 4ff5 aa78 ae7249feebc7  image003

Recently, I used cubed roasted butternut squash to make a yummy pasta dish. Caramelized onions, a little butter, a few raisins, some balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, feta cheese on top. Delicious!

I posted a red lentil and roasted pumpkin soup recipe last year here for which you could substitute the roast butternut squash: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

Also, I have a parsnip and butternut squash puree that uses roasted butternut squash:

You can steam (including in the microwave) the parsnips if roasted them is too much trouble, and it still tastes great.

Actually, though, a good roasted butternut squash is so tasty all by itself. I constantly roast squashes and pumpkins of all kinds throughout the fall and winter, and often a bowl of the stuff, plain, with lunch, or for a snack. So delicious!! ;o)

73cd846c b69c 41fe 8f8b 7a3aa8dd3b93  desert

You could always make butternut squash ravioli. My fall favorite!

8bbce907 3b5e 4c8c be5c c64e6c780d63  birthday 2012
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

Have you thought about a savory riff on butternut squash pie? Take a look at the Hippie Cauliflower Pie on Food 52 for an amazing crust idea.

Ead63f8f 0557 4ebc 96b9 c8ed4d855263  65158 10200930358201562 954577392 n

Toss it with arugula, chickpeas and roasted onions + a light tahini dressing.

I make a pizza with sliced butternut squash, tomatoes, pesto, and fontina. It's delicious and such a unique dish. It's a cooking light recipe:

http://find.myrecipes.com...

B0f2c3df 9bf7 43fc 8544 eb75ba85a60e  kay at lake

Throw it in with some caramelized onions and some chicken broth to reheat...mash it all up, add some goat cheese and some diced, crispy bacon, and it's a pasta sauce to die for.

Butternut squash risotto -- very simple and so, so good.

95faff30 cc53 4c8e 8c8d 9b770dc26f9e  dscf2141

You could puree/drain it and make some festive orange gnocchi. Try adding some crushed/rubbed sage to the dough, or you could do a sage whipped cream as a topping with some candied pecans/walnuts.