Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

Is it ok to substitute honey for molasses in a bread sponge recipe?

The recipe asks for honey as part of the starter dough (sponge). I don't have that at home, but I do have a stupid amount of molasses that needs to be used. Is it ok to change one thing for another? Do I use the same quantity or do I have to add more/less? Thanks for the help!

asked by Anna almost 2 years ago
5931bcf1 b22d 41db bdb0 e856dde60d58  image

Molasses has less sugar than honey. An online search shows for 100 grams that molasses has 55 grams of sugar while honey has 82. Sugar provides food for yeast. However, redstaryeast.com says that both can be interchanged equally in bread dough.

62da2e3c 5d4a 4c43 a2ed feb7f39ad363  with ab

As a note, brown sugar is actually just regular sugar with molasses added back in. So, to get that molasses-y taste, you might want to use brown sugar instead of regular sugar in that recipe so you get some of that flavor.

8a2c197a eaf6 414d 8be8 e1212df9ad42  nasturtiums

Anna, I've definitely done this before with good results. Regine has a good point, and as JessicaBakes says, the flavor will be different. I think you should be ok. Another good place to ask about this subject would be the Fresh Loaf message board.