Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

Cast iron food sticking

I have a beautiful old cast iron skillet that I rejuvenated and seasoned a while ago and now...every thing I cook in it sticks no matter how much fat I add. Bacon even stuck and it was sugar free bacon!
Help!! What am I doing wrong? What should I do?

asked by Andryea Natkin almost 2 years ago
823bbab0 baa0 4fb0 bde6 8249334469cb  laura1
Laura Candler

Laura works at Lodge Cast Iron.

You're welcome, AntoniaJames!

8a2c197a eaf6 414d 8be8 e1212df9ad42  nasturtiums

Andryea, I'm no cast iron expert, but I find that I still have to put fat in the pan when I'm cooking. A friend of mine says that her cast iron is so well-seasoned that she doesn't have to add anything before she adds food to the pan. However, I still add fat. For example, if I'm frying eggs they stick unless I start with butter or grease. Could that be your problem?

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

I agree with clementinebakes, I still add fat especially for the first batch if I'm frying more than one batch of anything.

Another bit of advice is not to move pieces around or flip them too quickly. Let whatever you're making develop a bit of a surface before you move it.

And finally, the best way to develop a nice surface--use your pan a lot. Frequent use early on can lead to years, even decades, of a stick-free future.

644453c6 91cf 431c b349 c6e04d4e4f22  open uri20130501 19868 7tfcxf

I wonder... I always add fat. Do I add it too early? Not enough? Everything still sticks! It's curious too because soon after I had seasoned it was wonderful and it's been all downhill since then.

Sorry to read about your struggle, Andryea. Sticking problems can be hard to solve without being able to look over your shoulder. There are some people who subscribe to the notion "hot pan, cold oil," but I think that's mostly myth.

Since your pan worked at first, my best advice is to make sure you haven't built up any debris. Then use it often, even if it's just to heat it up and wipe it down again. And like I said before, don't be too quick to move things around before they're ready. Have some patience, and I bet you'll beat this.

Andryea, if you google Sheryl Canter Cast Iron Seasoning, you will pull up a great blog about seasoning and re-seasoning cast iron. It's very in-depth and she just may solve your issue. I use her method and my pan is like teflon. I don't use the oil that she does. I just never bothered to buy any. I also never used her oven cleaner method of starting from scratch. It's what you have to do after using it that was just too much for me.

Let us know how things go.

Susan, thanks for referring me to Sheryl Canter's blog. Awesome information. I believe, after reading some of it that the seasoning on my pan was too soft and is no longer there. I plan to re-season it according to her directions. I'm keeping the hope alive. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again, Andryea