Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

Is home-made riccota cheese basically the same as home-made cottage cheese?

Example:

Ricotta
http://www.thekitchn.com...

Cottage:
http://www.foodnetwork...

Same recipe.

asked by George H almost 2 years ago
7be9269b 4bd3 4776 a58a 1796fcfd4f04  2016 03 22 12 44 46

I’m no expert on cheesemaking, but based on all the ricotta and cottage cheese I’ve eaten as well as those recipes I wouldn’t think so: The ingredients are similar but there are some differences in the technique, which probably lead to the different texture and taste of those two fresh cheeses.
Also, proper ricotta is made of just whey instead of milk (or buttermilk or even cream), which once again leads to a slightly different texture and taste. But don’t get me wrong: I’ve made many batches using recipes like the one you linked and they produce a most wonderful, delicious fresh cheese – I just wouldn’t call it ricotta :)

I was aware that proper ricotta was made from whey, not milk. That's why I prefixed both with "home-made".

I suspect the recipes are all cottage cheeses. Call it ricotta is simply a mistake. So I think you are right on that.

@Susan: good to know rennet makes a difference. Was thinking to use just vinegar. Probably more tart using vinegar.

George, I compared David Lebovitz cottage cheese and his ricotta. He actually uses rennet in his cottage cheese and vinegar and full fat yogurt in his ricotta. I thought I'd try his ricotta since I love his cottage cheese so much. He encourages stirring in heavy cream in both.

I actually purchased some fresh ricotta that is made here locally at a very cool cheese shop. It was very expensive and amazing. They use whey to make it. I think I'll try David's and compare.

From what I understand, Lem is right. Cottage cheese is made from curds and rennet is often used in the process. I have made David Lebovitz cottage cheese. It's really awesome. Very rich. I think maybe rennet replaces the acid so it has a richer and less tart flavor.