Using eggs in stovetop macaroni and cheese

Ok, I am not a huge fan of mac and cheese and am still searching for my go to recipe. I usually make a roux based cheese sauce whether I bake it or cook it on the stovetop. I came across an Alton Brown stovetop mac n cheese recipe that uses eggs and evaporated milk instead of roux. What are the differences taste/texture wise between the two?

HalfPint August 6, 2013

The egg-based mac and cheese is going to be richer and cheesy-er. The roux can dull the cheesy flavor (I got that bit of info from Modernist Cuisine).

pierino August 6, 2013

As much I like Alton eggs have no place in true mac and cheese. More than a roux it's a bechamel which, if you want to be all French, becomes a sauce mornay once you work in the cheese. That's the tried and true method.

sexyLAMBCHOPx August 6, 2013

My experience with using an egg-based Mac n Cheese recipe is that it's comes out soufflé-like, taller and less hard heavy straight cheese & pasta. I like both. : )

lizzyinthekitchen
lizzyinthekitchen August 6, 2013

Eggs will make it richer. Personally, I don't use eggs because it just doesn't feel right to me.

ChefJune August 7, 2013

I don't/wouldn't use eggs in mac and cheese. I love to vary the cheeses to make a different tasting dish, but no eggs. Selena, it's okay to not like mac and cheese... ;)