🔕 🔔

Last night I began making sour orange marmalade --- I've added tons of sugar and I've still got a rather sour flavor. It has been cooking most of the day. Any suggestions?

asked by Fern almost 7 years ago

397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

Is it sour or bitter that you're tasting? I'm wondering if you have too much pith in there, which would make it bitter and difficult to fix with sugar. If it's not the pith, and is indeed just sour, then I would consider adding other aromatics rather than more sugar. For instance, rosemary, bay leaf, or star anise, maybe even a little brandy. Also, you might want to simply taste the marmalade with a piece of cheese, like an aged sheep's milk cheese, because it may just need to be served with richer, contrasting flavors. Hope it turns out!

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

Generally marmalade uses a lot of sugar, something like twice as much sugar as orange by weight. See these recipes for reference: http://www.davidlebovitz... and http://www.foodnetwork...