Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

I'm making orange marmalade and I think I may have over cooked it and my sugar kinda of turned into caramel (or possibly burnt??) Is this pos

It turned a rich brown amber color, instead of orange. I stirred it frequently while cooking so it didn't burn onto the bottom of the pot or anything. I checked it once while cooking with the frozen plate test and it was still runny, so I cooked it for another 15 min but I think I over shot. Is there a better way to test next time? (I don't own a candy thermometer). Is my marmalade ruined?

asked by Jessica Abrami almost 5 years ago

i just recently did this when i was a guest chef for a brunch. it still tastes fantastic, you just change the name to "bitter orange marmalade." voila! next time i would definitely use a marked candy thermometer. sometimes you can't trust the frozen plate method, but you can usually trust the thermometer. it will tell you right on it what temp to cook it to.