Lemon Cake to Orange Cake?

Ebfced19 c94e 4f56 8189 ef7f3a46e7b6  buttermilk lemon cake 1

I'm attaching a Lemon Cake recipe that I love (I got it from a neighbor of my mother). I want to make it as an orange cake but worry that it will be too sweet. Any suggestions in adapting the recipe for oranges?
Also, any thoughts about cutting back on the sugar without sacrificing taste/flavor/texture? Thanks!

asked by DebJ over 6 years ago

I don't know if it's just my iPad, but I can't read the recipe at all. Can you scan it in larger? Or just list the ingredients for us?

DebJ

drbabs and others.... here is the list of ingredients for the lemon cake I want to turn into an orange cake. Thanks for your help.

2 lemon rinds, grated
3 tbs lemon juice
3 cups sifted flour
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 cup butter, room temperature
3 cups sugar
5 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk, room temp.

The recipe has too much sugar for my taste. I would be tempted to use a pound cake recipe--if you use the traditional recipe for pound cake, perhaps use the peel from 2 to 3 oranges, substitute orange juice for milk, toss in some chopped walnuts or pecans, and bake in a tube pan. When the cake is done, remove from the oven, poke holes in it with a fork or toothpick, and pour over a syrup of orange juice and sugar. his is the kind of age that improves as it sits--if you can keep it around.

DebJ

Thanks for the responses. I'll try RachelS's suggestions this weekend when I harvest my neighbor's orange tree (with permission of course!).