Coleman organic chickens... your experience?

If the third time is the charm, I'm -- well -- not charmed.

I frequently buy the two pack of organic chickens (Coleman brand) at Costco, but I've encountered some issues that have me rethinking this particular brand and I'm wondering if it is just me. Probably over a year ago, I noticed that one of the chickens had quite a few feather nubs still on it, which I plucked out with kitchen tweezers. I didn't like this much, but rather than being an exception, it seems that everytime I buy one of these chickens, some additional plucking is required. Then, a couple of weeks ago, one of the chickens had blue (like blue ink) all over it. I'm sure this is some residue from the processing, but really -- why is there blue ink on any chicken, let alone an organic one (was the ink organic?)? Today, however, was the last straw. The chicken didn't have a few nubs, it had several (more than 20) feather shafts, some almost two inches long! This seems like just too much to me. Third strike -- they are out. But is it only me? Does anyone else buy this type of chicken and, if so, what is your experience?

Bevi
Bevi January 27, 2015

Coleman's was recently bought by Perdue. Your experiences may be an attendant result of this transaction. Here is an interesting doc from the Dept. of Justice and another general FYI. http://www.justice.gov/atr/public/press_releases/2011/270591.htm
http://www.perduefarms.com/Our_Company/Perdue_Foods/

HalfPint January 27, 2015

I use to get the boneless skinless thighs & breasts from Costco. Never had a problem. Then some time last year, Costco stopped carrying Coleman's chicken, which now makes sense from Bevi's post about Coleman's purchase by Perdue. Oh well...

Bevi
Bevi January 27, 2015

You can buy the Coleman whole chickens, the thighs, and the breasts in my Costco region. But I have listened in on conversations about the effect that the buyout would have on the *new* Coleman's products.

LE BEC FIN
LE BEC FIN January 28, 2015

My Love does the shopping and he LOVES these chickens. I find them delicious as well. We have not had feather or any other defect issues.He buys them when our local Market Basket (MA) has them which is not always. Maybe because costco is such a huge account, less than perfect/defect birds are more frequent, given the quantity purchased (or maybe there's even a wholsaler category like that, which enables costco's low pricing.....)

You can't see the feather shafts through the packaging? Try buying the same brand elsewhere?

Liza's Kitchen NYC
Liza's Kitchen NYC January 28, 2015

It's pretty common to find feathers still attached when you buy a chicken, especially organic ones. Chickens don't come cleaned, you have to clean them yourself (especially the inside). At factory farms, the feathers are removed by putting the chickens in scalding hot water after they are killed. It's not a lovely process to think about, but it's how it's done, and it's not a perfect process. I'll admit blue ink is odd and I would have returned that chicken - but the feathers, I would think anything of.

Pegeen January 28, 2015

Be sure to let a manager at Costco know. Everyone I know has found them very responsive to food quality issues.

mainecook61
mainecook61 January 28, 2015

Some feather nubs? What could possibly be the harm? I'm used to them because we raise our own chickens. We don't slaughter them, though; at the abattoir, after a dip in scalding water, they go through a plucking machine with mechanical rubber fingers that "pluck" the chicken. It's inevitable that some feather nubs remain. In fact, I'm sure I've missed some in prepping a chicken and hence eaten them (and lived to tell the tale). In the days before mass-produced chicken, no one would have clucked (sorry) over this situation, which is not a sanitary issue but a cosmetic one.

Jellybean
Jellybean September 6, 2018

I've been buying Coleman organic whole chickens at Costco (Colorado) for several years (2016-18), and not only have they been pretty clean, they are tastier than any others! Every chicken will have a few "nubs." If you're not satisfied for any reason at all, Costco will always give you a refund.