What are your favorite local/regional cakes?

What cakes are famous in your neck of the woods? Which should I make and write about? Thank you!

Sarah is Food52's senior staff writer & stylist.

asked almost 4 years ago

EmilyC

Although I've never made or tasted one, I'm intrigued by St. Louis gooey butter cake. It has to be good with a name like that, right?!

mickle

It is good, very rich--serve small squares--and very easy to make

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

Sanders Bumpy Cake is a Detroit tradition and is available in freezer sections of our local grocers or you can make your own:
http://www.seriouseats...

Sarah Jampel
Sarah Jampel

I'm going to try this one! Serious Eats has a recipe.

Definitely the gooey butter cake from St. Louis. I wrote about it for American Food Roots and included the recipe: http://www.americanfoodroots.com/50-states/community-kitchen-eating-local-st-louis/

Another possibility: the Smith Island cake from Maryland's Eastern Shore. I think it is an old recipe and is now the Maryland state cake.

smarrell

Love Smith Island Cakes. So many delicate and delicious layers.

Sarah Jampel
Sarah Jampel

YES! I'm from Baltimore, so I have this one on the docket! ;)

London_Eats

Dundee Cake! This is the most famous cake from where I grew up (East of Scotland) - it's a light-ish fruit cake, made with marmalade and topped with rings of whole almonds. The marmalade is a nod to the fact Dundee is the home of bitter orange marmalade, made there as far back as the late 1700s.

I lived in St. Louis for a bit many years ago, but still have fond memories of gooey butter cake. More local and iconic for me (dating myself here) were cakes my grandparents routinely brought: Black Out Cake from Ebinger's, and chocolate babka from their local bakery on, of course, Lydig Avenue in the East Bronx.

Patricia

My region has a large percentage of people of Icelandic descent, thus the Vinatarta is very popular and delicious. Layers of then cake with a prune and cardamom filling.

Patricia

Thin cake, I meant.

I've heard that the official CT state cookie is the Snickerdoodle. Not sure about a cake though but this recipe is for a Snickerdoodle Cake http://www.foodiewithfamily.com/snickerdoodle-cake-with-brown-sugar-cinnamon-buttercream/

TobiT

I grew up in Connecticut and had never even heard the word snickerdoodle - until I moved to Minnesota, where it seems to be all about the snickerdoodle! (a pretty boring cake or cookie, imho)

Brooklyn Blackout Cake, although they are hard to find now. Many bakeries don't make them anymore and they are wonderful.

Hillary Reeves

THE BEST! But you need that 1/2 fudge, 1/2 custard filling to get it right!

Another thought: teaberry cake. I associate this with central Pennsylvania, but it may be more widespread. Teaberries are the fruit of a kind of mint and I don't remember if the cake used the dried fruit or a candy flavored with the oil.

arcane54

Atomic Cake was very popular when I was growing on the South Side of Chicago. It's a layer cake with various fillings: banana, chocolate and strawberry if I remember correctly - frosted with whipped cream. I asked the Hotline about it a couple of years back and then did some research (and answered my own question). Search and ye shall find....

nancy essig

I hail from Vancouver Island and our claim to bakery fame is the Nanaimo Bar. Sweet enough to curl your teeth but fantastic.

no-bake bar with cookie crumb base, custard icing center, melted chocolate top...what's not to like? Vancouver gets the credit but eaten x-country and National Post newspaper found it most popular in Canada.

nancy essig

Actually, Nanaimo gets the credit. A city on Vancouver Island where they were invented.

Sorry, yes,, Nanaimo. Thanks for correction.

You don't see Boston Cream Pie (really a cake) too much these days, but it can be pretty great.

Jenny Maria

Well Danish pastry in Denmark known AS wienerbrød (wiena bread). More lokal only are drømmekage (dreamcake) a yellowcake whit a sticky suggar and coconut topping

Ahhh, Europe opens up all sorts of possibilities--Black Forest cherry torte, Baumkuchen from Germany, the Princess Cake from Sweden, Sacher torte from Vienna, Dobos torte from Hungary . . . .

keg72

Not a cake, but anytime I'm in the UK, I seek out banoffee pie. It's fabulous! A traditional NY dessert, of course, is the NY cheesecake. Always delicious!

Agree, keg, definitely cheesecake in NY. Yum!

Down in Dallas they do a Dulce de Leche cake that I've never seen elsewhere. SO rich and decadent!

Rachel Christensen
Rachel Christensen

Rachel Christensen is the Director of Audience Development for Food52.

Babka! Or I grew up eating rainbow bar cookies (like little Italian flags)... wonder if that can be translated into a cake?

Yup Babka. We have the remains of one in the kitchen as we speak.

keg72

I've bought a rainbow cookie cake here in NY -- delicious!

dinner at ten
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

The Amateur Gourmet blogged about rainbow cookie cake a while ago:
http://www.amateurgourmet.com/2014/07/rainbow-cookie-cake.html

drshakyhands

Ohhh King Cake. And Mardis Gras is the 17th! I would kill for a gluten-free King Cake recipe with dough that wasn't just a total bear to work with.

Chef Lisa

Paul's bakery in Picayune, MS makes the best! They ship too.

Ginia

I had never heard of hummingbird cake until I moved to the Southeast. It is delicious, fruity (made with banana, pineapple, and coconut), subtly spiced, and best served with cream cheese frosting.

Sarah Jampel
Sarah Jampel

I LOVE hummingbird cake! Do you have any great recipes?

Hillary Reeves

Not US-regional, but I love a Victoria tea cake like you can find in the UK. I wish more US coffee shops/bakeries had 'em. I'm not a frosting lover, so this is the perfect not-too-sweet treat.

Yes, i agree wholeheartedly. Perhaps the Great British Bake Off will kindle an interest in the classic English cakes, such as the Victoria Sandwich and the rolled sponges. Great way for those of us who make way too much jam in the summer time to use some of our surplus. Plus, what's not to love about a light sponge?! ;o)

North Caroline Pig Pickin Cake - Not a favorite of mine, but it caught my eye in this fascinating New York Times piece on Google searches for recipes by state http://www.nytimes.com... ;o)

Another NY Times survey of Thanksgiving holiday favorites by state reveals the South Dakota Pear Kuchen (Elsen sisters) and the St Louis Gooey Butter Cake (Clark) - recipes for both included http://www.nytimes.com... ;o)

dinner at ten
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

Appalachian stack cake has a great story behind it: http://www.ourstate.com/appalachian-apple-stack-cake/

Stephanie G

From Fort Worth, Texas, it's Texas Chocolate Sheet Cake, of course!

Kentucky Blackberry-jam cake with caramel frosting!

Rachelwrites

My mom always made Italian Cream Cake although I suspect it was more southern in its roots than Italian.

When I was growing up in New Orleans, the now defunct Ledner's Bakery made my favorite cake--Dobèrge Torte-- a version of the Austrian Dobosh Torte. I loved it so much it was the groom's cake at my wedding. Speaking of old cookbooks, my grandmother gave me Beulah Ledner's cookbook "Let's Bake," and it contains the recipe but I've never tried it. (If you watched The Great British Baking show, you'll understand why--it's pretty complicated.) Sarah, if you want the recipes (there are 4 to complete the cake), let me know.

Sarah Jampel
Sarah Jampel

YES YES YES. Yes please!!

Jan Weber

Although technically it's an English-style steamed pudding rather than a cake, Persimmon pudding, made with American persimmons, is absolutely perfect for the holidays or autumn/winter in general. Very moist but not heavy, with a little tang balanced out by a nice warm flavor from the spices. Traditionally served hot with brandy butter or creme anglaise - it really gets you in a festive mood.

arcane54

Jan, you brought back fond memories of foraging in the Southern Illinois woods during my college days. American persimmons (ripe when they fall to the ground), and black walnuts made a fabulous pudding and cake. Talk about a mouthful of autumn! thank you!

carlito

Lithuanian layer cake (medovik) is one of the best things I've ever tasted. And beautiful to cut into!

LE BEC FIN

The better East Coast Italian bakeries will make , for holidays usually, a Sicilian Wedding Cake which is a pound cake with a ricotta filling w/ candied orange peel and chocolate bits; all glazed in chocolate. Best recipe is in the Italy book of the old Time Life Foods of the World series.
New England, and Rhode Island in particular, is known for Johnny Cakes/Hoe Cakes which are really pancakes made w/ stone ground white cornmeal (no sugar; they are savory). Boston Brown Bread, made in a can, is pretty much muffin/cake like, a molasses multi grain sweet quick bread w/ raisins.

Baked Alaska ( coined that in NYC) is a layered dessert of cake/ice cream/meringue.

Maple Spice Cake is a N.H. specialty

Quebec has "Poor man's pudding cake (pouding chômeur),
a dessert made with white cake batter and a brown sugar and cream sauce. Both parts are layered in a pan and baked until a sweet syrupy pudding with a cakey topping forms."
Wiki lists many cakes as American : Lady Baltimore cake, Angel food cake, Devil's food cake ,Banana bread/cake.

Selena

The Cleveland Cassata Cake! It's the ultimate birthday/special occasion cake even after a celebratory meal. It's two light sponge cake layers with barely sweetened custard and strawberries enrobed with whisper soft cream frosting. For me, someone who bleeds chocolate, it's still the only cake I want for my birthday.

Aliwaks

Butter Cake is a thing in Philadelphia there's a bakery in the North East that's famous for it. I bet its the same as St Louis gooey buttercake... its a yeast cake with gobs of butter/sugar baked on top, its danish/custard/buttercream...ridiculous especially if ever so slightly warm.

Sarah Jampel
Sarah Jampel

Do you have a recipe, Aliwaks?! :-D

Aliwaks

Oh wait one more cake- I don;t know if its NY or Philly but when I was growing up in NYC all the Italian bakeries had this cake (its my favorite Bday cake, was my wedding cake)- a Cannoli Cream cake, vanilla cake soaked in sweet rum, layered with cannoli cream and you had a choice of buttercream or whipped cream icing- the whipped cream was the way to go. OMG I want cake NOW.

keg72

I LOVE cannoli cake, too!

Aliwaks

OH and Apple Cake- in NYC it was just Apple Cake but in Philly they call it Jewish Apple cake. My grandmother's was the best, in late summer she's add Italian plums.

Aliwaks

Speaking of Apple cake, Bessie Truman popularized a recipe for an apple cake/pudding that was very popular in Missouri. I don't remember if the original recipe called for it, but we used black walnuts, which gave it a good Missouri twist.

Chef Lisa

Doberge cake, New Orleans! I'm intrigued with the Alabama Lane Cake, but have never made it.

drshakyhands

I made the Lane Cake last week in honor of Lee Harper's new book, and it was very very good. Of course, I used extra bourbon!

Patti in Mississippi

I live in the New Orleans area. King Cake and Doberge!

TwoAprons

Bumpy Cake from Sander's in Detroit. Best.chocolate.cake.ever

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

Your recipe for this looks wonderful! This is a VERY requested birthday cake in our family!

Blum's Coffee Crunch cake is sorely missed in San Francisco and is still widely imitated.

Sarah Jampel
Sarah Jampel

Have you seen or made the recipe in Valerie Gordon's book?

Jane Katz
Jane Katz

Jane is an Account Executive at Food52

Brooklyn Blackout!

Oh dear. There's no cake for NJ that I know of. Someone should invent an Exit 102 cake for Asbury Park & Bruce Springsteen. My other stomping grounds are NYC and that would definitely be cheesecake.