🔕 🔔

Smoked pork neck bones for slow cooker broth?

I got some smoked pork neck bones from my local german deli and want to make a bone broth in the slow cooker...never done this before. Suggestions/recipes?

asked by Natalie over 1 year ago

F92231df 227e 4486 9cc8 279621ca1481  harvest party

Since they are already smoked they are going to be flavorful, so I would throw them in the cooker, cover with water, add onion, garlic, carrot, celery or whatever vegetables you like or have on hand. Taste it for salt and let it cook for hours, then strain it and enjoy. I don't use a slow cooker so I can't comment on that - I have made bone broth but with beef bones which I roasted before cooking in water. Have you searched any for any recipes there have to be lots of them on aruvedic and health sites. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I make broth in my slow cooker all the time. For chicken, I cook on low for 20-24 hours. For beef, I cook on low for 36 or more hours. Pork neck bones are more like beef, so I'd go no less than 24. I like a very strong gelatinous stock, so feel free to taste yours and shorten the time if it suits you better. I wouldn't add salt until towards the end.

I just saw an article in Sunset magazine suggesting you add a splash of vinegar to the ingredients to help leach minerals out of the bones.

Yes! I always add 1-2 TBS of raw apple cider vinegar to my stocks.

F83774ec c18a 46a4 8dff 00877f15aed6  image
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

I've read about adding vinegar but have never remembered thus far to add it when making stock. I'd like to try this but I'm curious if you can taste the vinegar at all in the finished stock.

I was hesitant at first, but nope..I can't detect the vinegar at all.

88afa98e fd9c 4e61 af72 03658638b6cb  eight ball 600px

Nothing new.

A splash of white wine in stock has been standard for the French for centuries. You don't taste it.