Cooking fish

I am making a Suzanne Goin recipe for striped sea bass for 6 tonight. The recipe calls for pan frying the fillets at the last minute, which I don't like to do with company. Has anyone had success pan roasting rockfish fillets? Will the skin crisp?

Pegeen March 7, 2015

Sure, you can roast in the oven. These instructions are accurate. If you want even crispier skin, a minute or two before the recommended cooking time based on thickness of fish, move the pan under the broiler and watch it like a hawk.
http://thekitchenista.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=86:basic-oven-roasted-fish-filets&catid=54:general&Itemid=91

Pegeen March 7, 2015

Except that in step #2, since you want the skin, keep the filets skin-side-up, not down.

Dia Sherman
Dia Sherman March 7, 2015

Thanks Pegeen! (I meant to say oven roasting.

Pegeen March 7, 2015

I love striped bass and Suzanne Goin! What time is dinner?

Jan Weber
Jan Weber March 7, 2015

One trick to make sure the skin becomes crisp is to lay the fillets skin-side down on a plate or pyrex dish covered with a solid but thin layer of kosher or other non-iodized salt. Just let the fillets sit there covered with plastic wrap for at least 1/2 hour. This will draw out the extra moisture from the skin. Simply take the back of a knife, scrape away and discard the salt crust. Then simply pan roast as per your recipe requires. If using an oven broiler, try to move the fillets and the skin somewhat close to the heating element.