🔕 🔔

Eggplant parmigiana, skin on or off?

I am making eggplant parmigiana today and am trying to decide whether I should leave the skin on. I've never left it on and am afraid it may leave a bitter taste or become chewy. Any thoughts/advice? Thanks!

asked by Owlshark almost 3 years ago

Leave skins on. I rarely skin an eggplant.

I agree with the questioner, peels can be chewy, distracting and bitter. I always peel for this dish, the eggplant flavor will be far more delicate. I grew up in an Italian household, our entire family peels it.

look at the video by gianni's north beach on youtube. it is the best recipe and i have made it 3x in past month. it is so light and delicate. amazing how little cheese and sauce he uses. that is what made mine so heavy. his is like a cloud.

C1ea1f13 8f50 4d99 a9f7 06ed2b62c690  image

I've never taken the skin off. Have yet to taste bitterness. Maybe try both ways (half and half) so you can make your own choice

730755d9 9c3d 4de0 9240 cb85e23f7dbf  ladybeetle

I am probably the only weird person to go half/half.

I peel equally spaced strips off lengthwise, leaving half the skin on. Then when you slice the eggplant the other way, the edge has a pretty pattern, and the skin isn't chewy because it is in small pieces instead of one long strip around the slice.

I figure this way I get the best of both worlds.... some of the taste and (most likely the) extra vitamins that peeling removes, plus it looks good and isn't chewy.