Tips for fluffy meatballs

My new favorite pizza restaurant (Pizzeria Stella in Philadelphia, if anyone is nearby!) makes incredible meatballs. They are baseball sized, doused in a very simple tomato sauce, and are somehow light and fluffy as well as richly flavored (so you don't necessarily feel like you've eaten a baseball, and can move on to pizza). My go-to recipe is Rao's meatballs, which have a similar flavor, and as much as I love them they are a bit denser - I'd love to achieve the fluffiness of Stella's. Any thoughts?

asked by LucyS over 3 years ago

CanadaDan

in place of breadcrumbs soak some torn up white bread in milk and shred that in I find they come out way more tender and moist than meatballs made with breadcrumbs. I also don't use beef,just pork and veal.

LE BEC FIN

yes, the soft breadcrumbs(not dried) with milk or cream is an invaluable lesson. Also, i use my kitchen aid with paddle and that also helps add creaminess.

Extra Tender Meatballs by Merrill
https://food52.com/recipes...

Agree with Aliwaks on the matzo-ball techniques...not too much handling. Also, Mario Batali recommends using bread(crumbs) & meat in 1:1 ratio. He says meatballs in Italy were a way to stretch the meat, and, incidentally, the bread makes them lighter, no matter the size.