Can I substitute spelt flour for barley flour in a bread recipe calling for 1/2 cup of barley flour and 2 and a half cups (combined) of all-purpose and bread flours? (I'm nearly out of barley flour and cannot get out to the store today . . . . ) Thanks so much. ;o)

asked almost 8 years ago

I think so, AJ, especially since it's only 1/6th of the total flour. It may make the bread slightly more dense, but I don't think it would be significant.

Spelt is a close relative of wheat with a weak gluten. Barley is less wheat like, still has some gluten, and (my observation) stickier. Shouldn't be a problem.
Looks like you're having a busy morning!

I think you can. And if you wanted to, you could sub AP flour as well, since some like King Arthur (what I use) AP flours include Malted Barley Flour in their ingredients anyway.