🔕 🔔

I just finished making my annual batch of black cake. Having gone through the anxiety-inducing process of making "burnt" sugar, I am left as usual with about 1/4 - 1/2 cup left over. Any ideas for what I can do with this dark liquid gold, other than chucking it? Thanks!

asked by BadgerBakery over 6 years ago

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

Maybe burnt sugar ice cream, or burnt sugar icing or frosting for gingerbread, or hard sauce for bread pudding? Is that Emily Dickinson's black cake??

8446617e 2a44 48d6 bb85 2f1dc3feb000  n768884774 851343 4507

http://www.folger.edu/template...

Here is the recipe - looks interesting

7438d50f 1536 404b 9cef 53a218b712bc  badgerlogo4col

Thanks for the suggestings! I am making burnt sugar buttercream frosting--will add a little ginger, and use it on ginger cake later. The black cake recipe I am using was "adapted from the Naparema Girl's High School Cookbook." I got it from the NYT recipe file

0236a64a 6089 48f7 8ce6 5b790ad33fd9  0605111238

It seems like you essentially have molasses, so maybe some spice cookies next time? Make them crunchy and you could crumble them onto the frosted cake.