Can Marcella Hazan's famous Tomato Sauce be frozen?

I'm smitten by the recipe and would like to make it in bulk (it would be a better deal than store-bought sauce any time of the day). Can it be frozen? And if it can, for how long? Thanks for the help!

asked by Anna over 3 years ago

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

My grandmother has frozen GALLONS of tomato sauce for 50 years. Every time she makes it, she freezes containers of it and then spends the ensuing months trying to get rid of it. From her family to her pharmacist, everyone gets some sauce. I can imagine, since its generally so acidic, you could probably get a good 6 months out of it.

I sure hope so! I have a large container of it in there right now! (Actually I know it freezes just fine. I've done it before.)