Hi - what's the best dutch-process cocoa? Droste? Valrhona? Any other suggestions?

I made Francois Payard's flourless chocolate walnut recipe and it was delicious, but I've run out of cocoa and want to replace with the best possible ingredient. Thanks for your help!

asked by Karen over 3 years ago

I really like the cocoa from Penzey's: https://www.penzeys.com/online-catalog/dutch-process-cocoa-powder/c-24/p-919/pd-s
Droste is also very good.

Karen

Thank you!

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

I'm a callebaut kinda guy....we use it at the bakery and its always been good to us. Dark and bitter, but not sour.

Karen

Thanks

jamcook

I have tried many premium brands , but have had the best results with "Double Dutch Dark Cocoa" from the King Arthur Flour Baker's Catalogue. It is 12.95 a pound, and makes beautiful, flavorful, dark chocolate cakes .

Karen

Sounds great, will give it a try, thank you.

keg72

I use the King Arthur all-purpose cocoa for everything.

Karen

Thanks

jamcook

King Arthur actually has several kinds of cocoas, and they show them clearly, and describe them very well.

keg72

This is the one that I referred to as all-purpose. When I've spoken to the salespeople at the KA store in VT, they've said that this one is good for everything (as the description indicates): http://www.kingarthurflour...

Karen

Thanks Jamcook and keg72

I have a brownie recipe that I've made for over 30 years. Dora insisted we use Drostes so I always have. It makes the perfect brownie.

Karen

Droste keeps coming up as the go-to Dutch process cocoa - thanks. I should know - my mom's been using it exclusively for years come to think of it.

Mom knows best. :)

I use Droste's when I need Dutch process cocoa. However I normally use Valrhona cocoa for my brownies - and it is NOT Dutch process. so if you need Dutch process, I'd go with Droste.

Karen

Yes! Droste once again - many thanks.