🔕 🔔

Going to Reykjavik and Copenhagen. Any food/dining suggestions?

I'm afraid Noma is beyond my budget...

asked by Windischgirl about 2 years ago

I can't speak to Reykjavik, but here's a list of Copenhagen-
Sankt Peders Bageri-- the oldest bakery in KBH. Go on a Wednesday for onsdagssnegle, a giant, amazing cinnamon roll, or any day for an easy lunch.
Soupanatural- organic soup, good for lunch or dinner, no frills
Paludan Bogcafe- a bookstore converted into a cafe, good at any hour, breakfast, lunch, dinner or drinks; a good place to sit if you have time to kill
Torvehallerne Market- combination farmers market and food hall
Conditori La Glace- insane (and pricy) cakes. Worth at least walking by to admire the windows
Get a drink at one of the cafes in Nyhavn, but the food around there usually isn't great and it's pretty touristy.
Mikkeller- I haven't been, but I've heard good things
Kalaset- my favorite brunch. It can take a while though.
Sticks'N'Sushi- good sushi, even though it's a chain.
Meyers
Restaurant Schoennemann- Very traditional smørrebrød; menu full of herring and schnapps.

I hope that helps!

8671a78d 7dd4 4230 a4ec 2a67389ef45e  image

This is awesome! Thanks, Steph.
I've been to AC Perch Teehandlung, but the retail tea store. I understand they now have a cafe as well. Light lunch and snacks work well for us, so your list is perfect.

7c06bfa6 dcc3 4ae2 b256 5c89e09648ca  2017 0309 samantha james ransom 242 1
Samantha Weiss Hills

Samantha is Food52's Partnerships Editor.

Reykjavik is just marvelous! There are lots of options, but I ate light food at Mama Steina's, Icelandic Fish & Chips, Baejarins Beztu Pylsur. I didn't get to these places but people love Kex, Dill, & Slippbarrin. I also suggest picking up a Phaidon 'Where Chef's Eat' book next time you are at a bookstore and looking at the Reykjavik + Copenhagen suggestions! I highly recommend this book for culinary travel.

in copenhagen (i haven't visited reykjavik) do not miss the red hot dogs in a bun. or the ice cream in waffle cones. or danish mayonnaise. the open faced sandwiches are wonderful, especially those with beef jelly (jelled broth) and liver. they also have a traditional white pudding with some kind of red berry in it. i think they are famous for the salmon and pork and ham. have fun...can you post later and let us know what you found?

F83774ec c18a 46a4 8dff 00877f15aed6  image
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

OMG Scruz, I was in Copenhagen 35 years ago when I was 9 years old and I remember those red hot dogs! I haven't thought of those in years! At the time, as an American kid used to American dogs, the color totally freaked me out. Anyhow, I was tickled to remember those after all these years - glad you mentioned them.

420908ad 651e 46ac b88a 9cfbd6c602e3  open uri20141010 31964 ysrmyy

Copenhagen
Aamanns for smoerebroed the best
Nordic cusine, pony is great and afordable
Madklubben are good for a cheap fast meal whit no lingeren, so is the cofoco resturants
La Glace are families for the cases and hot chocolate