Our little rice cooker in a *new* red—but not for long! Shop now » details
Certain restrictions and exclusions apply. While supplies last.
🔕 🔔

Looking for a unique/romantic restaurant in Boston post-engagement. Ideas?

I'm planning a trip to Boston in late September and I will have just proposed to my girlfriend right before we leave. We are both foodies and would love a unique or romantic dinner spot that might be a little more intimate than just a fine dining restaurant. Would love to have a table for 2 by the kitchen or meeting the head chef or maybe even an awesome cooking class or food tour. Any ideas for awesome food experiences for this special occasion would be appreciated!!

asked by Matt Sloan over 1 year ago
549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

I haven't eaten there yet, but when I asked around for a place for an anniversary dinner, several people recommended Ana Sortun's Oleana in Cambridge.

8fa54f09 acbd 4701 a98c e74f7467a815  stringio

For a more interactive experience, I agree that Oleana is a great spot. La Voile is on Newbury has consistently great food and has kind of a sexy and intimate vibe at night, though perhaps thats because all the waiters have French accents. Def. a romantic spot, though its pretty classic French fare: well executed but not necessarily innovative.

Michele Topor leads marvelous food tours of Boston's historic North End. She's lived there more than 30 years, and knows where the best of everything is. It's a very tasty and informative way to spend a day. www.bostonfoodtours.com
One of the most romantic restaurants in Boston is also in the North End -- Mamma Maria. It's a bit like having dinner in a beautiful private dining room. And if the evening is fair, you may choose to enjoy your dessert out on the balcony.

41127bd3 72ff 4d4a 9406 bb83fa8bfbed  img 0275

When I think of romantic as well as outstanding food, I think of Lala Rokh on Mt. Vernon St on Beacon Hill. A family run Persian restaurant tucked away on a beautiful cobblestone street. Just read the legend of Lala Rokh, a romance story by the poet Thomas Moore in 1817 about a a betrothed princess and how her prince woo's her. I have attached the story and the restaurant link here.

http://lalarokh.com/about...

http://lalarokh.com/

I also second the motion for Oleana, especially if you sit outside on the patio. It's ine of the most beautiful outdoor dining spaces in Boston (read "romantic ") and the food is to die for! Don't skip the famous baked Alaska for dessert, it is far from ordinary with coconut ice cream and passion fruit caramel.

Fb32b7da 3cc3 4a3d bdce 4f17a9f42c49  10468549 10202688088435131 8373653173416500168 n
Rachel Christensen

Rachel Christensen is the Director of Audience Development for Food52.

ten tables!