🔕 🔔

I just joined a local arts group and the first meeting is a potluck on a Tuesday night!!!

I love to cook and make special food but I am at loss for what to bring. I haven't been able to get any ideas of what they've done in the past. Any suggestions are appreciated!

asked by missb503 almost 4 years ago

Whatever you choose to make, it's best that it be something that only requires one dish (table space is often scarce), is easy and not messy for people to serve themselves and eat, and doesn't suffer being held for a while and served at or near room temperature.

My own go-tos inclde jambalaya, potato or other vegetable gratins, cold sesame noodles, and slaws or other sturdy pre-dressed salads.

F83774ec c18a 46a4 8dff 00877f15aed6  image
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

http://food52.com/recipes...

These are easy and delicious and perfect for a potluck. I've made them with chèvre and jalapeño chutney instead of fig and blue cheese with great success as well.

i made breadsticks from my favorite pizza dough recipe, brushed with olive oil and a grating of parm, sliced and twisted before baking. presented upright, no big footprint on the serving table. they disappeared and got raves. stay simple, i say--complex dishes look suspicious to many.

Maybe I'm a bit grumpy today but I hate pot lucks and where I live we have them all the time. Healthwise they are risky business because you have no idea what's going on in someone else's kitchen. I usually bring some form of hot soup.

We have potlucks at work regularly. My group loves it when I bring a big salad dressed with a homemade dressing. Strawberrys, kiwi, spinach and mixed greens with a raspberry vinaigrette.

I'd go with a pasta: crowd pleaser, can be seasonal, and does well at room temp.