nigel slater's banana cake

How much sugar goes into the cake? In the Genius Recipe book it asks for 1cup, at 235 grams. Is that correct? 235 grams is more like 2 cups of sugar

asked by Rana over 3 years ago

According to two different conversion charts, one cup sugar = 201 grams.

Rana

Thank you. The muscovado sugar required by the recipe is so dense to begin with that I questioned the measurement.

You didn't link the recipe, so I assumed it was table sugar. The type of sugar would explain the heavier gram weight. As POLC said, it's always wise to go by how the recipe is written. I use my scale, which switches over to grams easily, all the time. My daughter asked me if I was dealing drugs on the side when the scale showed up at home. Lol

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

1 cup of sugar is roughly 200 - 225 g.

When recipes are written for weight, I assume that's how it was tested and would recommend following those measurements.

Rana

Is that plain white sugar? Muscovado sugar, a very dark brown sugar asked for in the recipe, is more dense than white sugar. Could this affect the weight?

I'm not familiar with the recipe, so I assumed "sugar" was granulated. Since muscovado also has a significant molasses content, it absolutely will weigh more than refined sugar. All the more reason to weight the sugar, since one can get wildly differing results with "brown" sugars, especially when its not clear how packed it should be.

Nigel's banana cake in the Genius Recipes book calls for 1 cup + 1 tablespoon of muscovado sugar, which is similar to dark brown sugar in weight (1 cup packed is 220 grams). In other words, don't worry -- that measurement is correct!

Rana

Thank you for a definitive answer.