🔕 🔔

Help, I need to make a banana cake filling-- no dairy.

It is my boy's birthday, and he has requested banana filling between the layers of the cake. My instinct is to mash/puree bananas with some lemon juice and a little sugar. However, if you have a yummy recipe or a better idea, I would love to hear about it. My son is allergic to dairy; we use coconut and soy milk as alternatives.
Thanks!

asked by Randi over 6 years ago

0151c2a2 87d4 44dc a429 ea60092c1747  img 1607

Oh, I'm baking the cake right now and serving it this evening. . .

32fb3935 151a 4db2 ac26 980d4c0d5cea  lorigoldsby

Have you ever used canned coco lopez? You usually find it in the liquor aisle...I think if you combined the coco lopez with the smashed banana and some confectioner's sugar, you would get a nice filling without the dairy.

8c5e3e9f 1b4a 49bc b261 442225295683  stringio

You could also use straight up coconut milk (put in blender with the banana to make it smooth). You could also try almond milk or cashew milk.

the reason I recommended the coco lopez is because it will give you a thicker end product--the viscosity that normally would be provided by either cream cheese or butter. I would just scoop out the solid part and use the separated liquid only as necessary

Thanks for the ideas! I am going to use the Coco Lopez and will still add a squeeze of lemon to make sure the bananas don't brown

2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

My grand daughter is allergic to dairy. I make a cream cheese filling using plain tofutti, earth balance and powdered sugar. You could add the mashed banana's and I bet it would be yummy

I should clarify its actually a mock cream cheese frosting that I make but thought it would be a good filling for a banana cake. Good luck! Not sure if you have Earth Balance but if you have not used before its a vegan spread like margerine