Our little rice cooker, now in red + brass for the holidays. Shop the exclusive »
🔕 🔔

Can a crock pot be used to bake?

To avoid heating up me apartment during the summer, I was wondering if a crock pot can be used to cook casserole dishes? I have a recipe for a rice dish that I would like to cook in the crock pot instead of the oven.

asked by Jim Gilbert over 1 year ago
B060878a 30a3 4de6 b178 d626ffef0fe8  img 1470

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

The only problem with "baking" (which requires a certain level of dehydration) in a crock pot is that there is no moisture loss. Casseroles often need to set to a degree, and without evaporation, its difficult to get proper consistency.

You can cook in a crock-pot. We cook rice all the time in the crock-pot. It takes 2 minutes for my crock-pot to heat up. Just make sure it is fully heated. Add 1 cup less of any ingredient. You have to do this because the crock-pot has lower heat than an oven.

Absolutely. I use mine to bake all summer. I even cook just rice in my slow cooker. A rice casserole would work great. If I were you, I would Google slow cooker rice casserole recipes and find one that is similar to yours and use a proven slow cooker recipe as a guide.