I've made homemade rigatoni and ravioli, both have come out so dense and thick. I've done fettuccine and spaghetti with the same recipe for d

And it was perfect. Should I be thinning out my dough? What am I doing wrong?

• Posted by: Tasha
  • June 16, 2015

PieceOfLayerCake June 16, 2015

Well, I'm not sure about the rigatoni (the issue might be the extruder), but I know that ravioli has to be rolled thinner since it tends to be thicker at the points where it's stuck together. It doubles up and is therefore twice as thick as it would be on its own. When rolling ravioli, I always make sure its an enriched dough (so it stretches more), and that I can just see my hand through it.

Tasha
Tasha June 16, 2015

I use mostly double 00 flour. I get the ravioli but how would I make the rigatoni less thick? The machine/attachment (kitchenaid) is brand new.

PieceOfLayerCake June 16, 2015

When I say "enriched", I mean a dough with eggs/yolks in it. And as for the rigatoni...if its an extruder, its most likely just how large the gauge of the dye is. If you don't mind a little bit of work, you could try garganelli, its not rigatoni, but its similar. And since its hand-shaped, you can control the thickness of the dough better.

Tasha
Tasha June 17, 2015

Yes I use eggs.