Just wondering, Whats that one food or spice that you hate or can't stand to eat?

For me, I can't stand sweet potatoes. My husband hates liver. And my mom hates garlic (I know she's weird, lol).

asked by Christina Marie Smith almost 3 years ago

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

Melon...of any kind. I think I can honestly say its the only food I absolutely refuse to eat.

For me..saffron. It tastes like a dirty, rusty penny to me. However, my friend Barbie makes the best paella cooked over an open fire when we go to the lake and somehow saffron is okay in that setting.

I can't sleep in the same house with cloves.

scruz

oysters (which i have tried and will gladly let you oyster lovers eat all of my allotment) and brains (which i have not tried but don't think i ever will). love mussels and clams. enjoyed tripe and liver. but no oysters or brains.

Claire Smith

Anything aniseed/fennel

Garlic Fiend

And licorice-y!

For me coriander, raw celery, green bell peppers and beets and my husband (the ONLY thing he doesn't like to my knowledge!) is sun-dried tomatoes. Needless, to say he is a dream to cook for...

Goat meat - the look, smell, color...

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

Jellyfish.

Windischgirl

That was the first food that came to mind! I cannot brave bivalves or tripe, and avoid onions and garlic because I can't digest them. I'd probably have a hard time with those scorpion lollipops...

I gave those scorpion pops to my little cousins (from NYC and Aix-En-Provence) and there was much squealing and nose wrinkling, but then 2 out of 3 ate them!!

Dona

Beets taste like dirt to me. I've tried roasted, grated raw, pickled - just can't.

Trena, are jellyfish considered edible?

I love people's descriptions here of what they don't like - very funny.

I like pretty much anything if it's cooked properly.

p.s. Sorry, forgot: I hate lima beans

Pegreen, don't tell Trina, but I love ice cold jellyfish salad in the summer. I make this one:
http://redcook.net/2012...

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Yes, jellyfish are edible, however the way that I had them served, barely. I see from Pegeen's post that she's had better luck, so perhaps I just had a bad experience. The one's that I had were salty and very chewy.

TobiT

Lima beans and whipped cream (I hate them both, separately)

ktr
ktr

Raw tomatoes. I will eat them on a salad occasionally because I know they are good for me, but I swallow them as quickly as possible to get it over with.

cookbookchick

Funny, Dona, I love beets because they taste "earthy" (like dirt?) and I will eat just about anything. I've even overcome my dislike of cilantro. But I avoid hazelnuts. Why? Because they taste like dirt to me! :-)

Panfusine

love beets for EXACTLY the same reason, the 'earthiness'

I neglected to mention that I can't sleep in the same house with beets, either.

Panfusine

Okra most certainly, I just cannot handle the sliminess,

keg72

I've got more than one! I completely agree with Dona on the beets -- I don't like them because they taste like dirt smells. I don't care for goat cheese (in any form or blend). I also don't like bell peppers (in any color or preparation) -- and because they're juicy, they flavor anything they touch! I also don't care for organ meats (including foie gras). And, although I'll enjoy them in baked goods, I really dislike eggs (including the smell), no matter how they're prepared. Oh, and one more -- mushrooms.

I am not much on tentacles (though I love fried calamari RINGS) and I really dislike the flavor of rose.

And - I've said it before I'll say it again - NO CANNED CREAM OF ANYTHING SOUP. EVER.

denise milke

Cilantro....it taste to me what i think Comet or Ajax would taste like....I know it sounds crazy!

AARGH, Abbie! I make a white chocolate-rose ice cream that is divine. To me, anyway.

@denise milke, the first time I tasted cilantro, I thought it tasted like gasoline. I've long since made peace with it, and frankly love it.

I hated cilantro too, but the more dishes I ate it in (Indian food, Latin food) the more I came to appreciate it. I think pretty much any taste can be acquired, but many don't want to go through the acquisition.

dotparker

Tofu... And I've been a vegan for many years. I just can't get past the texture.

Stephanie

Avocado. Ew. Absolutely the only time I will eat it is hidden inside a sushi roll. Before you ask...Yes, I realize that's weird. And no way, I hate guacamole too. Yes, really.

Jean Pitts

I hate cabbage in any form, including Brussells Sprouts, and I especially hate black pepper. I don't understand why chefs insist that black pepper be put on everything.

Exbruxelles

Potatoes, in any form other than French-fried or chip.

Windischgirl

I have to add in poultry gizzards, hearts, lungs...any chewy organ meat. Head cheese terrifies me. I can deal with liver, sweetbreads, tongue, gonads.
BTW, jellyfish remind me of chicken gristle. I can tie all my dislikes to early traumas...the curse of being the child of poor immigrants.

Well cooked chicken hearts are deliciously tender...like the oyster. They should never be chewy or "organy".

I'm totally with you on all of the above. The only exception is chicken livers, which I make into a heavenly mousse.
https://food52.com/recipes... I can't even think about head cheese. Tongue? Shivers.

Windischgirl

Tongue reminds me of brisket. Similar tender texture.

Kristen W.
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Turnips. It's funny, I very much like the bitterness in lots of other vegetables but for me, turnips have no redeeming qualities.

Valentina Solfrini

I don't like cardamom much. It's one of those tastes I just don't get no matter how hard I try, I guess.
And then there's the national love-it-or-hate-it food: cilantro. I HATE cilantro!

MTMitchell

Caraway seeds (seedless rye please!), nutmeg (a tiny tiny but goes a loooooong way and it seems overused to me), sweetbreads (texture), and I'm not a big fan of brains or tripe but I'd be willing to try them again. My husband hates mushrooms and anything that tastes "like dirt" (I love all that stuff), eggplant (I love it) and really stinky cheese (it tastes really bitter to him). Opposites attract...?

Tony S

Beets and salmon but I eat everything else.

SilverSage

Peaches! Can't even stand the smell.
Not crazy about very many other stone fruits, either; plums, nectarines, etc.

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

As far as I am concerned, cilantro is an ungodly food :)

Diana B
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

Cumin

Susan

Goat cheese. I cannot fathom its popularity.