🔕 🔔

cigarette smoke affects potted herbs?

I know this isn't technically cooking but, I haven't been able to find this. Can cigarette smoke affect potted herbs? I have my herbs outside my apartment, which unfortunately is where my neighbors congregate to smoke.

asked by Diana about 2 years ago

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

You gotta be kidding me.

D347253b 88e5 4ba1 ab1b 7b10260231b2  stringio

Apparently the answer is yes it can, I googled the question and found many articles on the subject. http://www.gardenguides...

84e04bee 8fc8 4bdc 8199 701c1af83294  image

I can't speak for potted herbs, but there is a well-known disease called tomato mosaic virus that affects tomatoes, and I believe peppers too, which is transmitted through smoking near the plant or touching it after smoking without washing your hands.

A029dd3f 19ce 426e a9d6 57f68b726dcc  fb avatar

Oddly enough that was my 8th grade science project. Not herbs specifically, but plants in an aquarium. If I remember correctly (this was several years ago), the plants exposed to smoke (in this case it was a pipe) suffered from lack of oxygen and died. However, in your case, this is outside, so I wouldn't be concerned about it. If your herbs are in a communal space you have to work within the confines of your living situation. I would hardly see it worth causing ruckus with your neighbors.

I agree - just wash well before use!

And now I keep thinking about how this dilemma would play out in states where pot is now legal!