🔕 🔔

Whole Chicken Ideas

I'm looking for some ideas to use up a whole chicken. However, I don't have an oven. I've made a lot of tacos, fried chicken and smothered chicken lately. Any other ideas?

asked by Rachelwrites over 1 year ago

You could boil the chicken with some fresh veg and herbs , make chicken salad from breast meat , chicken curry from dark meat and use the bones to make soup

C4950803 7ae7 4d2a 9c91 ff8b856fe028  dscf0339

salad and curry sound good! we haven't had that in awhile.

53573b8d 4bf0 4ffd 843d b2e617cfeb6b  dscn3274
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

Take a look at the "Winner Winner Chicken Dinner" columns. Lots of ideas for braises etc.

Drunken chicken: boil or steam chicken. Drain and Soak in a good quality rice wine or whiskey or bourbon. Use the liquid from steaming or boiling to cook rice or other stuff later.

B060878a 30a3 4de6 b178 d626ffef0fe8  img 1470

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

As simple as it sounds, I generally make chicken soup by poaching whole chicken until its falling off the bone (takes about an hour at a sub boil), then I pull it off the bone and continue making the stock with the carcass, aromatics, herbs, pepper, etc. Then you have cooked chicken and stock to do with what you'd please. I use garlic, ginger, soy, sesame oil, scallions and store-bought ramen noodles for an Asian inspired soup; herbes de provence, leeks, garlic, asparagus, peas, tarragon and wild rice for something French-ish; dill, orzo, red onion, lemon, spinach, and a crumble of feta for something Greek; tagliatelle, shallots, Parmigiano, basil, porcini, lots of garlic, red chile and a drizzle of olive oil for something Italian; spicy basil, lime, bean sprouts, ginger, scallions, fish sauce, and sriracha for something a little Vietnamese. The versatility is staggering.