Whole Chicken Ideas

I'm looking for some ideas to use up a whole chicken. However, I don't have an oven. I've made a lot of tacos, fried chicken and smothered chicken lately. Any other ideas?

rt21
rt21 July 11, 2015

You could boil the chicken with some fresh veg and herbs , make chicken salad from breast meat , chicken curry from dark meat and use the bones to make soup

Rachelwrites
Rachelwrites July 11, 2015

salad and curry sound good! we haven't had that in awhile.

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen July 11, 2015

Take a look at the "Winner Winner Chicken Dinner" columns. Lots of ideas for braises etc.

Garlic Fiend
Garlic Fiend July 11, 2015

Drunken chicken: boil or steam chicken. Drain and Soak in a good quality rice wine or whiskey or bourbon. Use the liquid from steaming or boiling to cook rice or other stuff later.

PieceOfLayerCake July 11, 2015

As simple as it sounds, I generally make chicken soup by poaching whole chicken until its falling off the bone (takes about an hour at a sub boil), then I pull it off the bone and continue making the stock with the carcass, aromatics, herbs, pepper, etc. Then you have cooked chicken and stock to do with what you'd please. I use garlic, ginger, soy, sesame oil, scallions and store-bought ramen noodles for an Asian inspired soup; herbes de provence, leeks, garlic, asparagus, peas, tarragon and wild rice for something French-ish; dill, orzo, red onion, lemon, spinach, and a crumble of feta for something Greek; tagliatelle, shallots, Parmigiano, basil, porcini, lots of garlic, red chile and a drizzle of olive oil for something Italian; spicy basil, lime, bean sprouts, ginger, scallions, fish sauce, and sriracha for something a little Vietnamese. The versatility is staggering.