fried chicken

I'm making Gluten Free Fried Chicken and I'm having problems getting the inside to be properly cooked before the outside is burnt looking. I'm using a deep fryer, tried both 350 and 325 degrees both with equally burnt looking chicken.

scruz
scruz February 2, 2016

i've never made fried chicken but i'm just throwing this out...are you taking chicken out of fridge an hour or so before frying? is your fryer's temp true? what are you using as a coating? is it's burning point too low or is there something you can cut it with?

Voted the Best Reply!

Sam1148 February 2, 2016

Do the fry first. Then put it on a wire rack and into a 325 degree oven for about 20 mins.
When frying just go for the color then finish up in the oven.
Your home deep fryer isn't going to have that steady control to do it on one pass without the oil cooling down. I've tried the double fry method before...now I just put on a rack in the oven to finish up and it's just fine and crispy.

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen February 3, 2016

I agree with Sam. I always first fry chicken to seal the coating and get color and then to the oven to finish.

plainhomecook
plainhomecook February 4, 2016

I highly recommend listening to Pat on this. Her fried then baked spicy chicken is the best I've ever made OR eaten.

702551
702551 February 4, 2016

Sam's suggestion is similar to the technique of searing a steak or other similar cut of meat on a really hot pan, then tossing it in a low-to-moderate oven to finish cooking through.

Exbruxelles
Exbruxelles February 3, 2016

When I fry chicken--once a year, for a kids' birthday-- I use an ancient cast iron skillet on medium heat and am patient. It takes almost a half an hour to get chicken pieces that are both nicely browned and cooked through. And although I never do, mostly because I don't want to have to wash another pan, finishing the chicken in the oven will work just fine.

Exbruxelles
Exbruxelles February 3, 2016

Jennifer Escamilla
Jennifer Escamilla February 4, 2016

I can't wait to try this with the oven trick! Thank you so much from all your great input.

Jennifer Escamilla
Jennifer Escamilla February 8, 2016

I tried the suggestion of getting the prefect color in the fryer and then tossing them in the oven. Perfect chicken! It was great! Thank you so much for all of your help.