Capresé salad

I see many photos of Capresé salads that look as though the mozzarella has been whipped. It's light, fluffy, spreads out on the plate and it's not buratta. How can I achieve this?

asked by akrainey about 3 years ago

I have not seen what you describe. Cypress salads are made with fresh mozzarella, which looks different than the hard mozzarella in packages. Is that what you are referring to? If you have a link to what you are referring to, that would be helpful.

akrainey

Take a look at Ottolenghi's tomato and mozzarella salad with buckwheat and curry leaves recipe: http://www.theguardian...

I don't see any cheese on that at all. The link went to a tomato and elderflower salad. I'll do a Google search.

Sorry..didn't scroll down. I see what you mean. I wonder if there are different stages when you make mozzarella and that is what is shown. I have only made ricotta, not mozzarella. I looked at the comments and not one person brought it up.

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

I love whipped buratta but when I only have fresh mozz I'll whip it in my mini food processor with a little cream or half and half. It works pretty well!

Now that is new to me. Can't wait to try it.

akrainey

Do you whip the burrata in your food processor?

Here's a version of a whipped mozzarella from the kitchn. You could use less cream and not whip to a froth. http://www.thekitchn.com...

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

I whip buratta in this recipe:
https://food52.com/recipes...

akrainey

Susan, you have to scroll down on the link I provided to find this recipe.

Found it. :) Duh me.

jmburns

I use buffalo mozzarella, it is creamy like burrata.

cookbookchick

akrainey, that Ottolenghi recipe calls for buffalo mozzarella torn into pieces. Buffalo mozzarella is like eating clouds, so delicious and so hard to find outside of Italy. I would use burrata for a similar cloud-like effect. Or try inpatskitchen's suggestion.

I think you will appreciate this article.
http://mobile.nytimes.com...

akrainey

Susan, I loved the article! Thanks for passing it along. I live in Chicago where there is an Eataly. I'm going over there today to check out their Buffalo mozzarella.

Oh awesome. Now you're armed with info about the real thing. I'm in Portland and supposedly, it's available here too. We'll see.