Presale! 2 new cookbooks from Food52. Claim your signed copies »
🔕 🔔

Will lightly whipping the cream then folding it into the rest of the pumpkin pie mixture make it light and fluffy or ruin it?

I want a fluffy non dense pumpkin pie, but not a mousse. Will whipping the cream lightly help or harm the pie?

asked by Heidi 2 months ago
Bb305185 6b66 45c6 ac96 6204c9dd8a30  dsc09796
Sarah Jampel

Sarah is Food52's senior staff writer & stylist.

Hi Heidi! Are you talking about after or before the pie is baked? I wouldn't fold whipped cream into the pie before baking it—that's going to mess with your results. Instead, I'd go with a recipe specifically tooled to give you fluffier results: http://cooking.nytimes.... In this one, you achieve the fluff by folding in whipped egg whites (so you could also apply that same technique—separate the eggs, beat the whites to stiff peaks, then fold them in—for a lighter pie).

Join Our Email List!

Inbox Inspiration:

Our newsletter is brimming with recipes and features that have us talking—dive in!

A Joyful Home:

Sign up to get $10 off a first purchase of $50 or more in our shop full of tools & treasures.

Come On In:

Join our humming community and get dibs on events, peeks at new cookbooks, and a surprise or two.