Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

What's the best way to prepare boneless chuck short ribs

Meat

asked by emda over 1 year ago
EMR

My favorite is to braise the meat in a combination of Seltzer water, peach preserves and fresh thyme. The fresh thyme enhances the fruity flavor of the peach preserves.

The Zuni Cafe cookbook has a recipe for ribs braised in Chimay Ale. An approximation of the recipe is here: http://www.recipecircus...

B060878a 30a3 4de6 b178 d626ffef0fe8  img 1470

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

I like to braise short ribs in my red sauce, then pull it and add it back in. I much prefer that to ground beef, in a meat sauce.

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

Sear, then braise as said above.

5fcfb7ff c208 4ae8 bc4e 1511d0ae330f  martini

My favorite recipe is Tom Cholicchio's Braised Short Ribs in Red Wine.
The recipe is posted on Food & Wine.

http://www.foodandwine...

WIlliams Sonoma also has a recipe for Asian style short ribs in a pressure cooker.
http://www.williams-sonoma...

I love this recipe from Cook's Illustrated:

Catalan-Style Beef Stew with Mushrooms

From Cook's Illustrated | January/February 2012

Why this recipe works:

Supremely beefy and complexly flavored, Spanish beef stew is a little different than its American counterpart. It starts with a sofrito, a slow-cooked mixture of onions, spices, and herbs that builds a flavor-packed base. Next we swapped out the normal chuck-eye roast for boneless beef short ribs, feeling that they gave us a beefier-tasting stew. We finished the stew with a mixture of toasted bread, toasted almonds, garlic, and parsley. This mixture, called a picada, brightened the stew’s flavor and thickened the broth.

When we took a closer look at the way Spanish cooks make beef stew, we found a whole new approach to one of our favorite winter dishes.

Serves 4 to 6

Remove the woody base of the oyster mushroom stem before cooking. An equal amount of quartered button mushrooms may be substituted for the oyster mushrooms. Serve the stew with boiled or mashed potatoes or rice.
Ingredients

Stew
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 large onions, chopped fine
1/2 teaspoon sugar
Kosher salt and pepper
2 plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise, pulp grated on large holes of box grater, and skins discarded
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 bay leaf
1 1/2 cups dry white wine
1 1/2 cups water
1 large sprig fresh thyme
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 1/2 pounds boneless beef short ribs, trimmed and cut into 2-inch cubes
Picada
1/4 cup whole blanched almonds
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 slice hearty white sandwich bread, crust removed, torn into 1-inch pieces
2 garlic cloves, peeled
3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
1/2 pound oyster mushrooms, trimmed
1 teaspoon sherry vinegar

Instructions

1. FOR THE STEW: Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 300 degrees. Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-low heat until shimmering. Add onions, sugar, and ½ teaspoon salt; cook, stirring often, until onions are deeply caramelized, 30 to 40 minutes. Add tomatoes, smoked paprika, and bay leaf; cook, stirring often, until darkened and thick, 5 to 10 minutes.

2. Add wine, water, thyme, and cinnamon to pot, scraping up any browned bits. Season beef with 1½ teaspoons salt and ½ teaspoon pepper and add to pot. Increase heat to high and bring to simmer. Transfer to oven and cook, uncovered. After 1 hour stir stew to redistribute meat, return to oven, and continue to cook uncovered until meat is tender, 1½ to 2 hours longer.

3. FOR THE PICADA: While stew is in oven, heat almonds and 1 tablespoon oil in 10-inch skillet over medium heat; cook, stirring often, until almonds are golden brown, 3 to 6 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer almonds to food processor. Return now-empty skillet to medium heat, add bread, and cook, stirring often, until toasted, 2 to 4 minutes; transfer to food processor with almonds. Add garlic and process until mixture is finely ground, about 20 seconds, scraping bowl as needed. Transfer mixture to bowl, stir in parsley, and set aside.

4. Return now-empty skillet to medium heat. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil until shimmering. Add mushrooms and ½ teaspoon salt; cook, stirring often, until tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to bowl and set aside.

5. Remove bay leaf. Stir picada, mushrooms, and vinegar into stew. Season with salt and pepper. Serve.

TO MAKE AHEAD: Follow recipe through step 2 and refrigerate for up to 3 days. To serve, add 1 cup water and reheat over medium heat. Proceed with step 3.

Do you work for ATK? Most of us here love them, but is it your only resource?

@ Susan, LOL (literally), no I don't work for them, although I probably would love it! I do make most of my recipes from them. And this is why: I have about six cookbooks, and my goal is to cook all of the recipes in them (I'm about half way through, after five years). I also got 12 of their magazines as free samples. My husband actually bought The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook, and I got Cooking for Two 2009 as a gift, so I haven't actually spent any money on their publications (don't tell them), and I won a subscription to their multi-site membership from americastestkitchenfeed, which is why it is super easy to cut and paste recipes that I like into the answer field today :) I just really really really like their recipes, probably because I'm as OCPD as they are, and because they turn out really well. I'm guessing that if I actually worked for them, I wouldn't be working off the clock for them on my time off, but as it is I do talk about them all the time.