Our NYC Holiday Market is open—this weekend only! Come see us »
🔕 🔔

Using hocks to make pork broth?

I sought to make pork broth and had 3 hocks I bought at the asian market. I did all the things you're supposed to do with a stock- roasted the hocks, boiled w veg and some vinegar and salt for a long time. It smelled amazing but taste is not good, not very porky or flavorful at all. I dont think it's the quantity of pork because I simmered off so much water.

I figure it's either 1. poor quality of meat (it was frozen and cheap) or 2. not a good cut for broth?

Does anyone have experience with making pork broth? I've made chicken and beef broth with whatever bones I have before and it always works great.

asked by Jassy over 1 year ago
80423961 53eb 434a 975a ff1327f6fb5c  fb avatar

That being said, I did not boil the bones and then drain and rinse before making the broth as I have seen some people do. Would that have helped? They say that is to remove impurities but I don't think that is the problem.

i have tried all pork stock but after that, i prefer to add chicken or beef. i agree with the pre boil, drain, change water and heat/simmer again. to make a really pleasant asian broth, i usually add slices of ginger, garlic, and chinese 5 spice which i make on my own (start saving your glass jars and plastic lids that bought spices come in and then refill with bulk spices from your health food/organic store if available). i also add soy sauce, a bit of sugar, maybe some sesame oil and sometimes fish sauce (just a dab). you can find the step by steps on youtube. i am not asian but now have the condiments on hand because i really like the clean flavor and the stocks are superb made this way. i don't think it was poor quality pork, just that maybe there is a tastier way to make it that i haven't found so i use other meat bones too.

My favorite Chinese noodle shop appears to make their broth with pork ribs and neck/spine (?) bones. They make the most amazing soup broth I've ever tasted. Pork broth is mild and delicately sweet. I don't find it porky or as strong as chicken and beef broth. If you want a stronger flavor, I would add chicken bones since beef can overwhelm a broth.

so true regarding pork broth and noodles. i go to a ramen place and it takes them 24 hours to make their pork broth. it is divine. it is also somewhat cloudy from the marrow.