🔕 🔔

can i freeze a whole orange

asked by @Veryhighguy over 6 years ago
Fc23ea4b 9ae1 494e 8a6f ba43f6488062  me by barbara tyroler

I don't really know, but I'd try freezing one, or even half, then thawing it to see how it comes out. My guess is, it won't be great to eat because of the texture, but might be okay for juice.

When you consider how farmers panic when tempuratures get near freezing in Flordia, I would think that it wouldn't be a good idea to freeze an orange. Maybe just the juice would be okay, but the only orange juice I ever see frozen is after it's been concentrated, so it's up to you.

2fc558a8 bd7d 4d57 9ed4 e14a7fcea429  fb avatar

If you want to to save the juice, just juice it and freeze that instead. If you have a bagful that are going soft, you can freeze them to juice later, just cut them in half first. I do this with lemons all the time and it's nice to be able to pull a laf from the freezer when I need juice and I don't have fresh.

8e94e86b faa9 42ae 93f9 c243369e2b3f  cakecake

I once had a huge abundance of oranges, so I froze two to throw in a cooler during a camping trip. We tasted them, just for kicks, and found them inedibly bitter. The rest of the oranges in the batch were fine, so I'm guessing freezing the whole fruit had something to do with it.