can i freeze a whole orange

Nora
Nora January 3, 2011

I don't really know, but I'd try freezing one, or even half, then thawing it to see how it comes out. My guess is, it won't be great to eat because of the texture, but might be okay for juice.

Soozll
Soozll January 3, 2011

When you consider how farmers panic when tempuratures get near freezing in Flordia, I would think that it wouldn't be a good idea to freeze an orange. Maybe just the juice would be okay, but the only orange juice I ever see frozen is after it's been concentrated, so it's up to you.

Savorykitchen
Savorykitchen January 3, 2011

If you want to to save the juice, just juice it and freeze that instead. If you have a bagful that are going soft, you can freeze them to juice later, just cut them in half first. I do this with lemons all the time and it's nice to be able to pull a laf from the freezer when I need juice and I don't have fresh.

campagnes
campagnes January 3, 2011

I once had a huge abundance of oranges, so I froze two to throw in a cooler during a camping trip. We tasted them, just for kicks, and found them inedibly bitter. The rest of the oranges in the batch were fine, so I'm guessing freezing the whole fruit had something to do with it.