Presale! 2 new cookbooks from Food52. Claim your signed copies »
🔕 🔔

can i freeze a whole orange

asked by @Veryhighguy about 6 years ago
Fc23ea4b 9ae1 494e 8a6f ba43f6488062  me by barbara tyroler

I don't really know, but I'd try freezing one, or even half, then thawing it to see how it comes out. My guess is, it won't be great to eat because of the texture, but might be okay for juice.

When you consider how farmers panic when tempuratures get near freezing in Flordia, I would think that it wouldn't be a good idea to freeze an orange. Maybe just the juice would be okay, but the only orange juice I ever see frozen is after it's been concentrated, so it's up to you.

If you want to to save the juice, just juice it and freeze that instead. If you have a bagful that are going soft, you can freeze them to juice later, just cut them in half first. I do this with lemons all the time and it's nice to be able to pull a laf from the freezer when I need juice and I don't have fresh.

8e94e86b faa9 42ae 93f9 c243369e2b3f  cakecake

I once had a huge abundance of oranges, so I froze two to throw in a cooler during a camping trip. We tasted them, just for kicks, and found them inedibly bitter. The rest of the oranges in the batch were fine, so I'm guessing freezing the whole fruit had something to do with it.

Join Our Email List!

Inbox Inspiration:

Our newsletter is brimming with recipes and features that have us talking—dive in!

A Joyful Home:

Sign up to get $10 off a first purchase of $50 or more in our shop full of tools & treasures.

Come On In:

Join our humming community and get dibs on events, peeks at new cookbooks, and a surprise or two.