🔕 🔔

BBQ sauce didn't freeze completely

I put some homemade BBQ sauce in the freezer a few weeks ago and it never froze completely (fat or alcohol content, maybe?). It's very cold, but still somewhat soft. How long is it safe to store something like this?

asked by Julie about 2 years ago

88afa98e fd9c 4e61 af72 03658638b6cb  eight ball 600px

It's probably the fat and sugar, a bit like ice cream.

It should be fine for a couple of months, but everything that is frozen suffers from slow degradation over time. How much is acceptable? It's really up to you to decide, some people are more sensitive to freezer burn, or won't be happy with inferior quality. Heck, some people may be perfectly fine using such a thing in six months.

Again, it's really up to your own taste buds and the particular recipe you used.

Personally, I keep a basic two-month limit for items in my freezer, but that's mostly to reduce clutter.

Marcella Hazan's tomato sauce is the same way. I blame it on the butter. I'm still using the last bit from just about a year ago and it's still awesome. My frozen basil paste, however, really declines after 30 days, so like cv said, just use your judgement and tastebuds.

695013bb 6175 44d4 9967 d3fa0ab27033  stringio

Most likely the sugar or alcohol, both of which lower the freezing temperature. In my refrigerator's freezer, not nearly as cold as the regular freezer, lemonade will not quite solidify, while orange juice right next to it will- more sugar. And sweet peppers always remain slightly pliable. They are still at regular freezing temp., and don't seem to spoil any faster than things that do freeze solid in the same freezer.