🔕 🔔

Roasting Asparagus in advance

I'm making roasted asparagus wrapped in prosciutto for a party. If I prepare them in advance (2 hours before), how best to store them? I worry that if I refrigerate them, the asparagus will turn soggy. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

asked by DebJ almost 3 years ago

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

Well, roasted asparagus doesn't really have that much of a snap anymore, anyway. I don't see why it would be a problem, as long as you let it come to room temperature before serving. In my opinion, cold asparagus is kind of mealy.

Personally, I'd just leave it out, just like the roasted vegetables that hang out on antipasti buffets all day in Italy.

Of course, someone is going to mention the horrific "danger zone" and how you will GET REALLY SICK IF YOU ATE ANYTHING LEFT OUT BEYOND THE DANGER ZONE, despite the fact the much of the world still stores food and eats this way, as did billions of people throughout human history.

After all, we're talking two hours, very little time for you to refrigerate, then get the food back to room temperature.

My two cents, which is worth far less than that on this discussion forum.

Do what you want, but wrap the asparagus with prosciutto shortly before serving.

Good luck.

lloreen

I do this all the time for an hors d'oeuvre - usually I steam the asparagus until it is just al dente and plunge it in an ice bath to preserve the color. I lightly dress it with balsamic, olive oil, and salt, then wrap with prosciutto. It holds up just fine. For 2 hours, I'd just cover with plastic wrap and pop it in the fridge (though you won't kill anyone by leaving it out either). I'm not sure how roasted asparagus would hold up, but my advice would be to slightly undercook it so it still has crunch.