Our little rice cooker in a *new* red—but not for long! Shop now » details
Certain restrictions and exclusions apply. While supplies last.
🔕 🔔

Measuring ricotta for Lousia's Cake

The recipe for Lousia's Cake (https://food52.com/recipes...) calls for one cup of ricotta. Should I use a dry measure cup or a liquid measure cup? Or can I use my scale to weigh eight ounces?

asked by Dea Henrich over 1 year ago
B060878a 30a3 4de6 b178 d626ffef0fe8  img 1470

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

Although it doesn't really matter between the two, if your ricotta is quite fluid, I would stir it up and measure it in a wet measure. If its firmer, I would use a dry measure. When you try to convert recipes to weight without testing first, especially with ingredients that vary in texture, it can get complicated. What I suggest, if you plan on making this again, it to measure the cheese volumetrically, then weigh it. If the recipe is successful, continue using that measurement for a bit more consistency. I do that often with recipes.

695013bb 6175 44d4 9967 d3fa0ab27033  stringio

Use the dry measure- it's easier and more accurate for anything that might mound at all.