🔕 🔔

What's your best recipes with bulgur (cracked wheat)?

Bought a pack of bulgur by mistake at the supermarket (don't ask: I had a preschooler with me and I was reaching for the lentils!). Apart from kibbeh, what else do you suggest I can do with it?

asked by Anna about 2 years ago

8425a5f0 773c 4ccd b24e 9e75b44477a8  monita photo

Here's a recipe from Telepan that Melissa Clark shared in the NYT. It's a red beet and bulgur salad which is delicious, easy and beautiful to have on a table
http://cooking.nytimes...

731da808 0ee6 4688 813c 05a2a7f1ca9b  16463817 10154453650334385 2720521257626860247 o

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

I use bulgur, and culinary grains like wheat berries, farro, couscous, quinoa, etc. as fridge and pantry cleaners. I take the grain and give it a quick saute with what I have on hand like veggies and proteins, top it with funky cheeses and herbs, drizzle over a vinaigrette, etc. Its a good clean palette, and doesn't really need a recipe!

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

This bulgur salad with pomegranate molasses and pine nut by Claudia Roden is really good: http://cooking.nytimes... (and thanks for triggering my memory - had forgotten about it!)

4f98639e b8b3 42cd 9b01 ec8a503c5fdd  2010 09 15 14.22.07

One great thing about using bulgur as the base for a salad or a side is that you don't even need to cook it. Put equal amounts of bulgur and water in a bowl and let sit for a couple of hours, until all the water is absorbed. Then add, as PieceofLayerCake suggests, whatever is in your fridge. I like sliced scallions, cucumber, pistachios, arugula, chopped tomato, fresh herbs, feta or blue cheese... you can also mix in a tin of good tuna. Finish with your favorite vinaigrette.