🔕 🔔

Soaking puy lentils for Lentil and Sausage soup?

I want to make this ( http://www.food52.com/recipes... ) recipe for tonight, I went out and bought some puy lentils. I prefer a thin soup to a thick stew so I figured I'd soak the lentils first to help combat that. I've never actually cooked with lentils, before though and now everything I read on google specifically says not to soak lentils - or that you don't need to.

Can anyone weigh in on this?

asked by darksideofthespoon about 5 years ago

5dd58b70 52d5 415a 8478 ba9053b33e62  kenzi
Kenzi Wilbur

Kenzi is the Managing Editor of Food52.

I've made this soup plenty of times, and I never soak them! Simply cook them right in your broth until they're tender, and you're done. They won't thicken your soup too much, either -- mine always comes out nice and brothy.

9a61d3c7 2821 4579 8601 c61c43d1c19f  img 0472

That's great to know! Sadly I already soaked them. :P I suppose I just won't have to cook them as long?

8425a5f0 773c 4ccd b24e 9e75b44477a8  monita photo

Lentils just need to be rinsed not soaked. If you find the soup is too thick for your liking you can always add a little liquid at the end to get it to the consistency you want

Kenzi Wilbur

Kenzi is the Managing Editor of Food52.

Yes, just decrease your cooking time slightly -- they'll cook much faster. Tasting is the absolute best way in the book to check for doneness.

I ended up soaking the puy lentils for about a total of 4 hours, simmered them in a separate pot until I liked the texture, drained and added them to the soup with more stock to cover. The soup turned out AMAZING! Very brothy - I'm a huge fan. Will be making this plenty throughout the winter months!