jam dregs

how do you use up the last little bit of jam in a jar and/or a jar of jam you've had sitting around for too long?

asked by Caroline Lange about 3 years ago

Gin & Jam, of course ;)

TobiT

I have no idea what this is but I think I must have it!

@TobiT,
Here you go, http://www.two-tarts.com/2013/06/gin-jam-cocktail-plus-giveaway.html

Stephanie

Any cocktail, really...gin+berry, whiskey+orange marmalade, cherry+tequila...dang, now I want a drink! ;)

Add to a salad dressing.

This is the recipe that I use with dregs of apricot jam/preserves: http://www.foodnetwork...

You could also add plain yogurt or cottage cheese for a snack/breakfast/lunch.

Pam p

Use it to make a jam-filled little pancake (if you have an ebelskiverpan) or just put it in a puff pastry dough and roll it up and bake. Sometimes, I like to add fresh fruit to jam dregs and cook it for a few minutes to make a fruity pancake syrup.

Use it in a marinade/glaze for a pork roast, chicken or even salmon: marmalade with ginger, garlic and rosemary; apricot with soy sauce, ginger, dijon, garlic, sesame oil; blackberry with shallots, port or madeira...you get the idea.

I do this as well. Just pour in a small amount of liquid like apple cider vinegar, close lid, and shake to get every bit off.

I also do this when I get to the end of a ketchup bottle. Just pour in some vinegar, shake, then dump into whatever bowl I'm preparing the meat glaze in.

Similarly, when I get to the end of a jar of mustard, I make salad dressing in the jar. Just measure the vinegar, shake to clean up the jar, then pour in olive oil.

Waste not, want not.

Ditto! Add the soy sauce, wine, or whatever liquid; shake it up; add some more things, usually Dijon mustard; and use it in a marinade.

Come a cold winter Sunday, I love to braise pork in port wine, dried cherries, fat cloves of garlic, and tender branches of Rosemary and thyme, along with whatever dregs of jam or preserves are lurking in the refrigerator.

C Sangueza

My mom would make what she called a "purple cow". Add milk to the dregs shake like mad until it got frothy and then drink it like a milkshake. She did the same thing with the bottom of the molasses bottle.

Bevi

I use a few tablespoons, thinned with brandy or cognac, to make a glaze that I brush on tarts. Blueberry and plum jams make great glazes for plum and blueberry tarts, and peach and apricot jam glazes are wonderful on stone fruit or apple tarts.

I do this too. Currant jelly is especially good for tarts with red/purple fruit or berries. Grand Marnier or rum are also good thinners.

Another use: swirl a spoon of jam or preserves after deglazing a pan to make a pan sauce.

Mix with other dregs or a bit of whatever else you have opened: then use to make a waffle sandwich using waffles that you've buttered while warm and then let cool, to get crisp. Almond butter can be used instead of or in addition to the dairy butter.

Another use: stir in soy sauce and grated fresh ginger, along with some Chinese rice wine or sake if you have some on hand. Glaze grilled anything with it. ;o)

cranberry

For the last little bit of jam, I add a little of the boiling water for tea, swirl it around and then pour the hot jammy liquid into my tea.

Jam sitting around for too long does not happen here!

Meaghan F

Love all hear suggestions, but am I the only one who tends to finish jam by eating the last spoonful or two straight from the jar...?

ktr
ktr

If it's homemade that's how it gets finished here too. Or just eaten on toast.

Just thought of something - used to be a custom in Russia, according to my great grandmother, to stir a spoonful of cherry preserves into tea. Probably good with other types too. She also drank tea through a sugar cube held between her teeth (another custom, I think.)