jam dregs

how do you use up the last little bit of jam in a jar and/or a jar of jam you've had sitting around for too long?

HalfPint August 31, 2015

Gin & Jam, of course ;)

TobiT
TobiT August 31, 2015

I have no idea what this is but I think I must have it!

HalfPint September 1, 2015

@TobiT,
Here you go, http://www.two-tarts.com/2013/06/gin-jam-cocktail-plus-giveaway.html

Stephanie
Stephanie September 1, 2015

Any cocktail, really...gin+berry, whiskey+orange marmalade, cherry+tequila...dang, now I want a drink! ;)

sexyLAMBCHOPx August 31, 2015

Add to a salad dressing.

sexyLAMBCHOPx August 31, 2015

This is the recipe that I use with dregs of apricot jam/preserves: http://www.foodnetwork...

You could also add plain yogurt or cottage cheese for a snack/breakfast/lunch.

Pam p
Pam p August 31, 2015

Use it to make a jam-filled little pancake (if you have an ebelskiverpan) or just put it in a puff pastry dough and roll it up and bake. Sometimes, I like to add fresh fruit to jam dregs and cook it for a few minutes to make a fruity pancake syrup.

amysarah August 31, 2015

Use it in a marinade/glaze for a pork roast, chicken or even salmon: marmalade with ginger, garlic and rosemary; apricot with soy sauce, ginger, dijon, garlic, sesame oil; blackberry with shallots, port or madeira...you get the idea.

702551
702551 August 31, 2015

I do this as well. Just pour in a small amount of liquid like apple cider vinegar, close lid, and shake to get every bit off.

702551
702551 August 31, 2015

I also do this when I get to the end of a ketchup bottle. Just pour in some vinegar, shake, then dump into whatever bowl I'm preparing the meat glaze in.

Similarly, when I get to the end of a jar of mustard, I make salad dressing in the jar. Just measure the vinegar, shake to clean up the jar, then pour in olive oil.

Waste not, want not.

Greenstuff August 31, 2015

Ditto! Add the soy sauce, wine, or whatever liquid; shake it up; add some more things, usually Dijon mustard; and use it in a marinade.

boulangere August 31, 2015

Come a cold winter Sunday, I love to braise pork in port wine, dried cherries, fat cloves of garlic, and tender branches of Rosemary and thyme, along with whatever dregs of jam or preserves are lurking in the refrigerator.

C Sangueza
C Sangueza August 31, 2015

My mom would make what she called a "purple cow". Add milk to the dregs shake like mad until it got frothy and then drink it like a milkshake. She did the same thing with the bottom of the molasses bottle.

Bevi
Bevi September 1, 2015

I use a few tablespoons, thinned with brandy or cognac, to make a glaze that I brush on tarts. Blueberry and plum jams make great glazes for plum and blueberry tarts, and peach and apricot jam glazes are wonderful on stone fruit or apple tarts.

amysarah September 1, 2015

I do this too. Currant jelly is especially good for tarts with red/purple fruit or berries. Grand Marnier or rum are also good thinners.

HalfPint September 1, 2015

Another use: swirl a spoon of jam or preserves after deglazing a pan to make a pan sauce.

AntoniaJames September 1, 2015

Mix with other dregs or a bit of whatever else you have opened: then use to make a waffle sandwich using waffles that you've buttered while warm and then let cool, to get crisp. Almond butter can be used instead of or in addition to the dairy butter.

Another use: stir in soy sauce and grated fresh ginger, along with some Chinese rice wine or sake if you have some on hand. Glaze grilled anything with it. ;o)

Voted the Best Reply!

AntoniaJames September 1, 2015

Mix with a good sharp mustard. Spread on sandwiches involving ham and cheese and heat, either via a panini press or making "grilled cheese." ;o)

cranberry
cranberry September 2, 2015

For the last little bit of jam, I add a little of the boiling water for tea, swirl it around and then pour the hot jammy liquid into my tea.

Jam sitting around for too long does not happen here!

Meaghan F
Meaghan F September 3, 2015

Love all hear suggestions, but am I the only one who tends to finish jam by eating the last spoonful or two straight from the jar...?

ktr
ktr September 3, 2015

If it's homemade that's how it gets finished here too. Or just eaten on toast.

amysarah September 4, 2015

Just thought of something - used to be a custom in Russia, according to my great grandmother, to stir a spoonful of cherry preserves into tea. Probably good with other types too. She also drank tea through a sugar cube held between her teeth (another custom, I think.)